986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   How many quarts of oil for an oil change that includes dropping the sump pan? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/51937-how-many-quarts-oil-oil-change-includes-dropping-sump-pan.html)

steved0x 04-30-2014 09:51 AM

How many quarts of oil for an oil change that includes dropping the sump pan?

I am going to putting on the EBS Baffle at my next oil change, along with the LN Engineering Spin On Oil adapter, and I am buying some Joe Gibbs DT40 this time around (previous fill Castrol Edge 5W40 which I have been happy with... until I learned about the DT40 :) ).

I've never dropped the sump pan before, does a lot of oil come out? Will 10 quarts be enough? For the price I don't want to be buying more than I need. My boxster doesn't seem to consume any oil between changes so I don't need a lot of extra.

Thanks

Steve

seningen 04-30-2014 09:59 AM

All :-) (well ok you might save a pint in the filter.)

Mike

steved0x 04-30-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seningen (Post 398302)
All :-) (well ok you might save a pint in the filter.)

Mike

I'll take the little plug out first before I drop it ;)

seningen 04-30-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 398303)
I'll take the little plug out first before I drop it ;)

Sorry I wasn't trying to be a smart arse -- just read your message a little too literally.

You'll have a little trapped in the baffles and some drippage, but if it is drained first -- then you will not have much left.

Assuming you are tracking it because you are adding the baffle -- I would consider getting the deep sump kit too (0.5qt), just a little bit more margin.

I did both to my S in December before any track days.

Mike

thstone 04-30-2014 12:09 PM

There will be about 1/8"-1/4" left in various parts of the pan - just enough to make a mess but not enough to worry about. Oil will also continue to drip from various parts of the sump so be prepared with a wide pan or similar to catch drips from the entire sump area. 10 qts should be enough to re-fill.

steved0x 04-30-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seningen (Post 398305)
Sorry I wasn't trying to be a smart arse -- just read your message a little too literally.

You'll have a little trapped in the baffles and some drippage, but if it is drained first -- then you will not have much left.

Assuming you are tracking it because you are adding the baffle -- I would consider getting the deep sump kit too (0.5qt), just a little bit more margin.

I did both to my S in December before any track days.

Mike

I would like to get the extra .5 quart but the ones I looked at didn't seem to be compatible with the EBS baffle with the exception of the super $$$ LN Engineering one. For that price I may as well get the super expensive FVD baffle/deep sump all in one.

Because I got a good price on the EBS baffle I went with that, plus I like the all stainless doors.

School me: which .5 quart deep sump kit will go with the EBS baffle. Otherwise if I do just the baffle I will probable always have it in the back of my mind that I should have gotten the spacer too :)

steved0x 04-30-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seningen (Post 398305)
Sorry I wasn't trying to be a smart arse -- just read your message a little too literally.Mike

All cool; I didn't read it that way :cheers:

BYprodriver 04-30-2014 01:27 PM

10qts should be enough. JG DT40 is sold in a case of 12 anyway. Just get the car as level as you can to drain the most before you remove the sump cover. Don't forget the sealant & LN magnetic drain plug & washer.

seningen 04-30-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 398319)
I would like to get the extra .5 quart but the ones I looked at didn't seem to be compatible with the EBS baffle with the exception of the super $$$ LN Engineering one. For that price I may as well get the super expensive FVD baffle/deep sump all in one.

Because I got a good price on the EBS baffle I went with that, plus I like the all stainless doors.

School me: which .5 quart deep sump kit will go with the EBS baffle. Otherwise if I do just the baffle I will probable always have it in the back of my mind that I should have gotten the spacer too :)

Ordered the BK one through EBS when I ordered their baffle kit -- they drop shipped it from BK -- and BK now included the pickup lowering gasket.
Or it might have been that EBS makes a compatible baffle for the deep sump kit or both. Call up EBS -- they were of great help.
Got a better deal from EBS as a combo set. This was back in Dec.

Mike

steved0x 04-30-2014 02:04 PM

You can get single quarts on amazon for the same price per quart so I ordered just 10. Amazon continues to surprise me...

I've got the magnetic drain plug, this will be my first change since installing it. I hope it is clean whn I take it out.

steved0x 04-30-2014 02:05 PM

I will call ebs directly and see if they can hook me up.

BFeller 04-30-2014 02:08 PM

Go to the grocery store and look at the diaper section. Pick up a package of the bed liners - used for kids that wet the bed but are a little old for diapers. There cheap, and work well sitting under the catch pan to collect the spills and drips.

steved0x 04-30-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFeller (Post 398338)
Go to the grocery store and look at the diaper section. Pick up a package of the bed liners - used for kids that wet the bed but are a little old for diapers. There cheap, and work well sitting under the catch pan to collect the spills and drips.

I will check those out, I've been using cardboard boxes but I am running out. Thank you.

steved0x 04-30-2014 05:09 PM

I talked with Don this evening. Great chat and he was very helpful.

Turns out there are two versions of the EBS Baffle: 1 version is designed to be used with the stock sump cover, and 1 version is designed to work with the various .5 deep sump extensions that are available. The difference is in how the bottom of the baffle meets the sump pan cover. The baffle spacers that come with the .5 deep sump kits match the original plastic baffle. If you were to use them with the EBS baffle, there would be gaps along the bottoms of the side extensions, and also I believe the doors might be different too (similar to how you have to enlarge the plastic doors of the original baffle when installing the .5 extension)

Edit: 1 have the first version designed to work with the stock pan.

The extra .5 of oil, while it does not seem like a lot, is a pretty decent increase in oil as a % of the total oil, and provides extra cooling as well as extra reserve.

Counterpoint: the X-51 cover/baffle does not include the extra .5 and folks have had great success with it... and also all the folks that used the EBS baffle without the BK .5 extension...

What to do...

LAP1DOUG 04-30-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 398349)
I talked with Don this evening. Great chat and he was very helpful.

Turns out there are two versions of the EBS Baffle: 1 version is designed to be used with the stock sump cover, and 1 version is designed to work with the various .5 deep sump extensions that are available. The difference is in how the bottom of the baffle meets the sump pan cover. The baffle spacers that come with the .5 deep sump kits match the original plastic baffle. If you were to use them with the EBS baffle, there would be gaps along the bottoms of the side extensions, and also I believe the doors might be different too (similar to how you have to enlarge the plastic doors of the original baffle when installing the .5 extension)

Edit: 1 have the first version designed to work with the stock pan.

The extra .5 of oil, while it does not seem like a lot, is a pretty decent increase in oil as a % of the total oil, and provides extra cooling as well as extra reserve.

Counterpoint: the X-51 cover/baffle does not include the extra .5 and folks have had great success with it... and also all the folks that used the EBS baffle without the BK .5 extension...

What to do...

I use the standard EBS baffle for the OEM sump, with a 3 qt Accusump. To me the Accusump just seems like a more robust aid than a 1/2 qt extra sump capacity.

steved0x 04-30-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAP1DOUG (Post 398353)
I use the standard EBS baffle for the OEM sump, with a 3 qt Accusump. To me the Accusump just seems like a more robust aid than a 1/2 qt extra sump capacity.

I hadn't considered that combo - the baffle now, I am still on street tires (Hankook RS-3) so should be ok. if I take it to the next level I can add an accusump.

Thank you!

Steve