986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Camshaft timing for dummies. (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/51611-camshaft-timing-dummies.html)

NewArt 04-11-2014 06:06 PM

Camshaft timing for dummies.

So, having popped the cams out, checked the lifters, changed the pads and the cam chains, it's time to set the camshaft timing. Piece of cake, right? Not!
Having searched and read numerous DIY write ups, one thing remains very unclear to me (well, two actually). 1. Is the compression stroke determined by the cam sensors?, and 2. At TDC, will the two single notch cams be pointing the same way (e.g. outward), or in opposite directions, like one in and one out? :confused:

steved0x 04-11-2014 06:09 PM

Look for recent posts by Jake Raby, there was a recent thread where someone had questions about timing and the discussion was quite detailed. But I can't remember who's thread it was... But I think you could find it .

Gary_d 04-11-2014 07:37 PM

Ignore the intake cam on Bank2. Everything is timed on the Bank1 intake. When the notch on Bank1 intake is pointed "out" and the exhaust on Bank1 is lined with the cam cover and block, Bank1 is in time (or you have to reset). Rotate 360 to TDC again (clockwise) and the intake for Bank1 should point "in". Then the exhaust for Bank2 should line with the cam cover and block on that side. If it does, you're good. If not, you have to reset. Easy to do, I just went through it and it worked perfectly. PM me if you need further help, or just post here. I read the primer here on the board too, but read too much into it. Ignore Bank2 intake....

NewArt 04-12-2014 04:23 AM

Thanks for this clarification. My main concern is since I had both cam sets removed, that I have put them back facing the right way and not rotated one set half a turn. I put them back in with the dots on the sprockets (which correspond to the colored links) facing out. Currently one intake cam notch faces in and the other faces out. Is this right?

Jake Raby 04-12-2014 07:24 AM

Do you have the proper cam timing tools? If so, test this is a super simple process, without the tools you'll not get the cam deviations within range. Its more than just facing some dots and slots in different positions, thats part of it, but not all of it.

Nine8Six 04-12-2014 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 395308)
2. At TDC, will the two single notch cams be pointing the same way (e.g. outward), or in opposite directions, like one in and one out? :confused:

Funny, I have the exact same question. Anybody who could answer this question would be top quality

so.... At TDC, will the two single notch cams be pointing the same way (e.g. outward), or in opposite directions, like one in and one out?

another question I had, same as OP actually, is: one intake cam notch faces in and the other faces out. Is this right?

Jake Raby 04-12-2014 08:48 AM

One bank is always at true TDC and the other is at TDC overlap.

Nine8Six 04-12-2014 09:31 AM

nice one mate, thx

NewArt 04-12-2014 12:48 PM

Ummm, okay. So that would be both notches out or one notch in and the other out at TDC?
Sorry to be dense.

NewArt 04-18-2014 02:18 PM

Both marks point in OR both point out, depending on whether you are at TDC or at TDC exhaust. Bentley's and 101 Projects books are not clear on this.
If you plan to pull off both sets of cams at the same time, I can recommend using the procedure outlined in Porsche 986 Boxster Workshop manuals available in electronic version.
Another tip for dummies: the engine rotates clockwise when you are looking at it from the pulley side. It is much easier to rotate if you pull the spark plugs.
More tips for dummies coming soon!