986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Boxster S exhaust on a non-S? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/5156-boxster-s-exhaust-non-s.html)

Jeph 02-20-2006 11:07 AM

Boxster S exhaust on a non-S?

I don't have an S, but I think the double pipes in the back look better.
Here are my questions for you, Boxster friends...

1. Would it look too poser-esque to get Boxster S exhaust on my non-S?
    (The only people disqusted would be enthusiasts that know the difference.
    I'm already without Boxster badges.)
  2. Is there a difference in sound?
  3. Is there any power or breathing enhancement taking place?
    (I'd assume if there was powergain, it'd be microscopic.)
  4. Has anyone on the board here done it?
If it's not in your signature, list whether you have an S or a non-S in your replies.

blinkwatt 02-20-2006 11:11 AM

I do not think it would look poser-esque because alot of aftermarket exhaust are dual tip designs.

denverpete 02-20-2006 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeph
I don't have an S, but I think the double pipes in the back look better.
Here are my questions for you, Boxster friends...

1. Would it look too poser-esque to get Boxster S exhaust on my non-S?
    (The only people disqusted would be enthusiasts that know the difference.
    I'm already without Boxster badges.)
  2. Is there a difference in sound?
  3. Is there any power or breathing enhancement taking place?
    (I'd assume if there was powergain, it'd be microscopic.)
  4. Has anyone on the board here done it?
If it's not in your signature, list whether you have an S or a non-S in your replies.

1. Who cares what anyone else thinks! Now putting an "S" badge on it would be Poseur!
2. Don't know.
3. Don't know.
4. Probably - but don't know.
5. Non-S

Biz-z Z 02-20-2006 12:22 PM

Well, what do you think Clark Kent would say if you wore a big “S” and a red cape? Yeah, in my view, “poser” pretty much describes it. No, it’s not the end of the world and I doubt anyone will be so gauche as to laugh out loud, but Porsche enthusiasts will know. To me, it is simply trying to look like something you are not; it’s a bit phony IMHO.

I personally like the oval single exhaust found on the regular strength Box. It is a uniquely distinctive feature and one that has caught my eye for years. Aesthetically it really works. It is what the designers at Porsche decided to go with when they built the Box. To borrow a phrase, consider it like a scar in fine leather, proof of the car's authenticity.

I doubt there is any difference in sound between the two tips.

There is no power or breathing enhancement, it is simply distinguishes the S from the non-S.

That's how I see it from my knothole. Sorry my opinion may go against the grain. Ultimately, do what makes you happy.

(Now, pretending your car has special colors is the mark of a real poser!! :D :D )

l8braker 02-20-2006 12:41 PM

I'd heard there was a diff between the 2 but who knows.......

I don't think is a POSER thing to do at all because the only one who will know the diff is a Porsche lover. Your average person has no idea. Also if you put an aftermarket exhaust with 2 tips on are you a poser then??

I think I'm going to sell my stock Boxster S exhaust if anyone wants it??

bmussatti 02-20-2006 03:13 PM

Jeph, I think whatever you decide is your own business!

I don't think there will be any sound or performance difference, it's just a bolted-on tip.

Have you seen the polished chrome oval tip in Tequipment? It is very nice looking! It is a split oval. Part number is 986 111 980 01

If you get the S twin-tips...make sure you go chrome!!

You might not be able to change your tip. Make sure it is bolted on, not welded on.

Rail26 02-20-2006 03:17 PM

Jeph,

After my accident, I had them replace the Stock with the S exhaust. I think it looks great and the exhaust has nothing to do with it....if you glued an S on the back then you would have something to worry about. The exhaust does not define the car...that just happens to be a way people identify them. Same thing with bolting on a GT3 bumper...are you now trying to imitate a GT3?

Jeph 02-20-2006 03:18 PM

I shouldn't have put that "to each their own" option on the survey. It's watering down my results!

I believe my exhaust tip is welded on. I've seen the double tip featured in the pictures bmussatti posted, but I don't think those will work with my car. Whenever I've seen those for sale, it's usually say for Boxsters after 02 or something.

I like you're thinking on the subject Rail26.

denverpete 02-20-2006 03:21 PM

I just can't see how adding an "S" tip to your non-S makes you a Poseur. How exactly does that happen? You're not fooling anyone so you can't be "posing" as an S anyway! You like the look - GREAT! DO IT!

Even if you were trying to fool someone - WHO CARES! If it makes ya happy and doesn't hurt anyone.....

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT NOW! COME ON - DO IT!

Adam 02-20-2006 07:00 PM

Internally, the mufflers are the same so there is no advantage to going to an "S" style muffler except for asthetics. Is it Poseurish? That depends on who you ask. I don't see any S owners switching to a single tip even though they look pretty cool so I question why base owners want to make the switch especially since there is no sound/performance gain. To each his own I guess.

Rail26 02-20-2006 07:05 PM

I like the double barrel look....it looks more sporty. The single exhaust made it look like my car had a butthole. Once again...my humble opinion. I will post pictures tomorrow Jeph.

denverpete 02-20-2006 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail26
The single exhaust made it look like my car had a butthole. Once again...my humble opinion.

Can't............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................Type........................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..While........................................... .................................................. .................................................. ..................................Laughing........ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................

TriGem2k 02-20-2006 10:54 PM

I have the twin pipe gemballa exhaust and cats on mine...I just like the it more than the single....All up to you...If your gonna change the exhaust might as well get something other than a stock S... B&B make some nice ones..... If u wanna stay in a "less" expensive range

blinkwatt 02-20-2006 11:03 PM

My understanding is that if you have a 99' or older then you need to order a exhaust bracket from a Dansk exhaust kit available through Mid America.

mach schnell 02-28-2006 05:29 PM

i say go for it! I'm prob gonna do it on my 05 unless I can find someone to make a custom dual tip that is vertical, not horizontal. I'd actually like a sportier system on my 05 - I think it's too quiet!

Dr. Kill 03-01-2006 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail26
Jeph,

After my accident, I had them replace the Stock with the S exhaust. I think it looks great and the exhaust has nothing to do with it....if you glued an S on the back then you would have something to worry about. The exhaust does not define the car...that just happens to be a way people identify them. Same thing with bolting on a GT3 bumper...are you now trying to imitate a GT3?

I agree with Rail. I think you only cross the line to "poser" if you stick “S” badging on the car, and then so what? It’s a free country. Am I a poser because my non-S has the 18” S wheels? I don’t think so. I like the wheels, I like the car, period. If you think your Box would look better with the twin pipes, go for it.

I would suggest keeping your stock exhaust though so you can put it back on when you sell the car.

Let us know what you come up with.

eslai 03-01-2006 12:34 PM

Changing the tips is a trivial task and I don't think it makes you look like a poseur. Now, painting your calipers red, changing your front bumper and putting an S badge on the back would make you look like a poseur--if anyone could tell since by that point you'd look exactly like an S. :)

I want a sport exhaust for the 987 that doesn't cost three grand. *sigh*

eslai 03-01-2006 12:59 PM

BTW, again if anyone was looking for one, there's a 987S tip on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-BOXSTER-S-987-EXHAUST-TIP-2005-ON-STAINLESS-NR_W0QQitemZ8041781088QQcategoryZ33633QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

SD987 03-01-2006 01:37 PM

I want a sport exhaust for the 987 that doesn't cost three grand. *sigh*

- Eslai

Yeah, looking forward to a 987 PSE myself, I like the 986 one quite a bit. I may have posted here or PPBB regarding this, but I saw a 986 PSE bolted on a white 987 (base) in Balboa Park. It looked great.

I contacted both Pioneer and Suncoast about doing this. Pioneer parts were typically clueless but the guy from Suncoast was quite helpful. He said the exhaust systems between the 986 and 987 were dissimilar enough where it would be quite the PITA to install. Wish I knew the owner of that white 987 to get his input.

mach schnell 03-04-2006 10:02 AM

anyone know of a reputable and quality place in the LA metro area that can make a custom tip for the boxster?