Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #1

Seat Moves On It's Own!!??

I have a 2004 Boxster S with the power driver's seat and seat position memory option. When my wife drives it, the seat has taken to moving all the way back by itself, and the switch on the side of the seat will not move it back for several seconds. When it does work again the seat will not stay forward. Sometimes this can happen while driving which is a big problem, since she is short and when the seat is in the full back position she can't reach the peddles. To compound the mystery, this almost never happens when I drive it, although it did move back on me a couple of times when I made a hard right turn.

My Porsche garage ran a full diagnostic and found nothing except that the battery was weak, so we thought that might be the problem and replaced it. He ran the seat back and forth a dozen times and it was fine. When we picked it up from the garage my wife got in it in front of the mechanic, turned on the ignition and moved the seat forward. In about two seconds it moved all the way back by itself and wouldn't come back forward.

We're stumped. Has any one else had this problem, and if so how did you fix it?

Thanks much for your help.

wroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #2

my 01 with motorized control did the same.
found that the wires to the seat adjust switches were rubbing the chair frame and rubbed off the insulation. the harness is routed over the frame, between it and the bottom side of the seat patting.
one test is to place your "bottom" more towards the outside edge of the seat near the switches and if the chair moves, you have the same problem I did.

you can pull the switch plate off. there's three or four tabs with hooks. when the wires are visible, it's obvious.
I wrapped electrical tape over the exposed wires as well as plastic sleeving.

good luck
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:49 AM   #3

Thanks, sb01. The garage is removing the seat now. I would do it myself, but I'm tied up on another project today and my wife needs the Boxster tomorrow.

I really hope this is the solution. These electrical gremlins can be so difficult and costly to trace.

wroot is offline   Reply With Quote