Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #1

98 Remote Locking Issue - Need to identify control box sounds?

Hi all,

Just picked up my first 986 and have spent the last week fixing as many of it's problems as I could ( clutch, lighting, top operation, misfire, to name a few)

I'm almost at the end of the tunnel but I'm stuck on the locking problem (hopefully the last repair) I've been reading up and figured that the locking mechanisms were the culprit & decided to investigate. The passenger door wouldn't lock at all so I started there, also assuming the lack of use may present a stuck micro switch.

Upon pulling it apart I found them to be operational, but noticed the small locking electric motor to have a seized rotor. I plugged the circuit card back in to the door and then decided to try the remote while at the same time operating the switch to signal the lock in position.

Needless to say it didn't help and it made the same noises as before. ( hope you can follow my process, I realize it's not the clearest) understandably it could also be a combination of both door locks, and will be pulling that one soon, but figured I would post a small video I took so someone experienced can identify what the controller is trying to do.

The noise is coming from the box under the seat. If the video attachment doesn't work, I'll try to describe it.

First noise when the button is pressed sounds like a small motor. The noise happens twice, is a second long, with 1/2 second in between, and then right after I get the same sequence as before, only this time it is 2 relay clicks instead of a motor sound. I get no horn sound & no flashing lights. The switch on the dash makes the same noises when pressed and does not light up. The carpet under the seat is dry, as is the control box.

Can someone please explain how the controller works - that way I should be able to figure out what the noises correspond to. I am not a fan of throwing parts at something and hoping for the best, i like to understand the system.

Thanks for your patience reading this! If someone could please help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

986 Remote Locking Video by buglife77 | Photobucket

ac427 is offline   Reply With Quote