Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #1

Automatic headlight

You have to have the front light, as well as the taillight on by law in sweden. I manage to forget to turn it on from time to time. Porsche Center nearby asks for 400 USD to fix it, material included.
However, is there any guide on how to do it yourself? As a VAG mechanic.
To scared to try it without a guide, and lack the required english skills to search myself.
I've made some researches, but the technical english is kiling me.

Sorry for typos etc, this was written from my phone.
With kind regards, Jonathan.

HolmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
2002 Boxster S

Garage
The English term you want is "daytime running lights", also abbreviated "DRL". There are many forum topics about this, so searching one of those will give you many choices.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #3

if you want to have a new Automatic headlight, you can search for it on Amazon. com, a lot of choices as the samples I had

2pcs Ultra White 6000K D3S D3R 35W Xenon HID Headlight Light Bulbs OEM Replacement for Volkswagen Jetta Golf

arnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
The English term you want is "daytime running lights", also abbreviated "DRL". There are many forum topics about this, so searching one of those will give you many choices.
I was thinking that too, but he said he needs both the taillights and headlights to turn on. As far as I know DRL's are just the headlights.

In Canada, which requires DRL's they have a different headlight relay, which does the same thing as the DRL fuse hack. Perhaps he should look for a Swedish light relay?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
still plays with cars...

Garage
My Canadian spec DRL's illuminate all exterior lights on the vehicle when I start the car. The headlight switch only turns on my dashboard lights.
HolmaN, it's quite possible that your DRL relay failed. Try to borrow another and just swap it out and see if it works. It's just a relay, easy to try.

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote