Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2006, 05:56 AM   #1

19" wheels bad for 98 boxsters?

I've been told that 19" wheels may cause damage to 98 and older boxsters, but they are fine for models 99 and newer. Is this a true statement? If it is, can someone tell me why and what the dangers are? Thanks. I know that someone here has to know...

D.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.L.
I've been told that 19" wheels may cause damage to 98 and older boxsters, but they are fine for models 99 and newer. Is this a true statement? If it is, can someone tell me why and what the dangers are? Thanks. I know that someone here has to know...
Hi,

The '98 Model Year was significantly modified to strengthen the rear of the Car to accept 18" Wheels. '97s and early '98s without these modifications should not mount 18" or larger wheels as it would be unsafe.

The Mods consist of reinforced Lower Engine Bulkhead, Rear Wall Crossmember, and reinforced Rear Axle Mounts. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:22 AM   #3

In addition to Jim's excellent reply You need to know that it's not the diameter of the wheels that's the the problem, it's weight. 18" wheel / tire combo's tend to weigh more than 17's. 19's would weigh more than 18's BUT you can certainly go with 19's if the wheel / tire combo weighs as much or less than the factory 18" combo. Since I don't have the weight of the tires I can't make an easy recommendation but I think if you stay under 24 lbs on the wheels you should be fine. Of course, that means fairly expensive forged or modular wheels AND there aren't many made with the proper offset AND the 19" tire selection is not the best in the proper diameters so going to 19's is really more trouble than it's worth IMHO. Besides, you aren't gaining any performance, it's a 100% looks issue.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:59 PM   #4

You guys rock! I knew I could find the answer here on this forum. I know the selection of 19" tires are poor, and they cost double what 18" tires cost. I guys I will find a set of 18" wheels. Thanks again!!!!!!

D.L. is offline   Reply With Quote