Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2006, 09:08 AM   #1

Exhaust Smoke Question

I have noticed, over the past few weeks, that each morning I get into my 2001 Boxster that I purchased in November with 42,000 miles as a CPO Boxster, when I start it up, for the first say 3 or 4 minutes, there is a small but unusual amount of smoke that comes from the exhaust, I find this to be very odd since at no other time during the day when i'm out running errands or work or whatever does this smoke/exhaust appear, only when I get into the car in the morning. Does anyone have any ideas of what I need to look at or might be the cause or any similar experiences?

joshua6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:16 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Because of the Boxster's engine design it will have a small minor amount of oil that comes out of the exhaust. It is not unusual,but the question is how dark is your exhuast smoke? Mine does it during the morning when I first start it up but not later in the day.
This is from www.986faq.com
"The Boxster engine uses a flat six cylinder design. Because of this construction, oil residue remains under the piston heads and burns off at every start up. This can produce a white puff of smoke. It should only lasts a few seconds. This is normal, and no correction is necessary."
Old 01-30-2006, 10:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua6060
I have noticed, over the past few weeks, that each morning I get into my 2001 Boxster that I purchased in November with 42,000 miles as a CPO Boxster, when I start it up, for the first say 3 or 4 minutes, there is a small but unusual amount of smoke that comes from the exhaust, I find this to be very odd since at no other time during the day when i'm out running errands or work or whatever does this smoke/exhaust appear, only when I get into the car in the morning. Does anyone have any ideas of what I need to look at or might be the cause or any similar experiences?
Hi,

Some slight smoke on a Cold Startup is normal for an Engine with Horizontal Cylinders like a Boxer Engine. This is because Oil won't flow back to the Oil Sump under Gravity as it would with an upright V engine. Most likely, once the Engine has completely cooled and things contract, such as the Rings, some Oil can pass the Oil Control Rings and get into the Combustion Chamber. It also can enter through any open valves as well. Add to this that some moisture will also condense inside the Muffler and add to the effect as Steam.

With 42k mi. on the Clock, you could also have an Oil Separator starting to go bad, but the smoke you'd see due to this would not be nearly so slight as you indicate.

It's most likely nothing. Keep an eye on it, and your Oil level, and take the appropriate remedy if it worsens. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-03-2006 at 11:21 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:23 AM   #4

Thanks for the info, I luv my Boxster and try to keep an eye on everything :-) Happy Motoring to All, Spring is near, ready for drop top weather!!!!!!!!
joshua6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:37 PM   #5

I thought it was cool enough to take a picture:

Caught the smoke!
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:50 PM   #6

The previous owner of my '98 had that problem because the oil was over filled at an oil change. Oil was drained to correct level and problem solved.
sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:55 PM   #7

This is a strange one for me, I have owned my MY 2000 986 for over two years and have not once seen the smoke on start up.

Then one day in the moutains, I fired it up and saw the infomous smoke which disapated quickly.

The only thing I can attribute it to is it was parked on a step incline for the night. I have not seen it since

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:55 AM   #8

Actually parking on an incline will bring on the smoking in many cases.

Harmless.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #9

Long live the smoke! The ancient Porschemans worshiped the smoke and thought breathing in the smoke brough virility and long life.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 02-02-2006, 06:10 AM   #10

First time it happens, it can wig you out.

I remember thinking, "valves, bad rings?"

Old 02-03-2006, 11:16 AM   #11

Mine will smoke at start up if it has been sitting for a few days. It dissipates very quickly. The first time it did that, it spooked me (WTF?????), so I immediately went in a did some internet surfing to see if it was a common issue and haven't given it a second thought since.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:08 AM   #12

Smoke on startup

I got my 2000 986S, 60k miles, about 4 weeks ago. Imagine my dissmay when after a couple of weeks ago I turned the key and a huge plume of blue smoke came out the back of it. I only use the car at the weekend and have since realised that following (in order of severity of the amount of smoke) will effect the plume.

When the car has stood for a week after previously not running long enough to get hot.

Not used for a week, but having been 'driven' the previous occasion.

Parking on an incline (left to right rather than fore-aft as many flat streets have due to camber) exaserbates the problem also.

I intitially thought something serious was up, but with my rudimaentary knowledge of the boxer configuration , and the fact the smoke dissapeares after about 20-30 seconds I am fairly sure nothing more serious is awry.
fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:27 AM   #13

Could there be a better view? Let me set the backdrop...Foggy London morning after a breakfast of tea and blood sausage...a dashing figure in his James Bond 3 piece suit walks out to his sports car. With one turn of the key, deep growl and puff of smoke, he's off to Scotland Yard for another boring day of saving the world.

I would love to live in London for a year.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 05-12-2006, 01:07 AM   #14

Cloud of smoke during acceloration

I have only had my Boxter S for 2 days, yesterday when I was out and about, I ran it for about 30 mins to let it heat up, then started to give it some boot, to my dismay when I passed a Car there was a large white cloud of smoke once I eased off the accelorator.

what could cause this??

the car has barely been used for 1 year, has 37,000 miles and seems to run fine apart from the worrying smoke.

thanks
Scott.
Scotty_Boxter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:16 AM   #15

Hi Scott. It's a Boxster not a Boxter hahaha. Thats ok, I did that too when I first bought it. The name is a combination of Boxer engine style and Roadster layout so Box and ster together for the name..

Anyway are you getting this smoke when the car is still cold? or is this after it's fully warmed up and you let off the gas and see the white cloud? If you can see it in your rear view, it's a lot of smoke thats comin out.

Be sure, that it's white and not grey. Grey smoke is unburnt fuel that comes out when you suddenly let off the gas and full combustion doesn't complete or when your hard on the gas and it hasn't been tromped on in a while they run rich.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:57 AM   #16

Hi Jim,

the car had been run for about 80 min's, I had stopped at mcdonalds for about 20 mins, but the temp gauge was at its normal. It has happened again today, but not nearly so bad, it does seem to be when I am letting off the juice after a decent blast.

Initially I was really shocked, but the performance of the car is fine? there is no "Burning Oil smell" so your suggestion seems feasible.

it is hard to say "white or grey" I will keep a close eye out for the colour tomorrow.

My main concern was if it is white smoke, that generally means head gasket gone or water in the oil doesn't it?

thanks
Old 05-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #17

Burning coolant is white, but it's like "James Bond smoke screen white" as in looks like a big puffy cloud is following your car that you can't see through. If it's only a bit and whiteish, then it's grey and unburnt gasoline. Thats part of the fun tho, spitting unbunt gas on your opponent...
Old 05-12-2006, 11:27 PM   #18

thanks for the info Guys,

basically the worst time this happened it looked like a white cloud about 6 meters radius that spat out the back and "my opponent" had to drive through it lol it looked like smoke machine smoke from a night club.

if it is coolant, does that mean there is something wrong? if so, what can cause the coolant to burn?

like i said, this car has barely been used in anger for about one year, could this be a major contributing factor?
Old 05-13-2006, 05:41 AM   #19

if it's smoke machine white then thats cooland burning. There are many things that can lead to coolant burning but a poped headgasket is generally the most common. The easiest way to detect is to do a compression test, tho that doesn't always uncover the problem.

Pull out your plugs and look at them to see if any are 'wet' with coolant. Coolant is a sealed system so it shouldn't go anywhere, is yours low?
Old 05-13-2006, 07:14 AM   #20

Yes, Jim is on the right track. If you have white smoke and are losing coolant, the direction is not a good one.

Let us know.