Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #1

Tweaking for the Track

I posted this last night in another thread and realized it was on the wrong section with the wrong name so I'm reposting here:

I've been hard at work over the last month or so helping ease my 01 S through it's midlife crisis.
It's now 10 years old and about 30 miles shy of 50K and was crying out for a little extra love and begging to get out to the track.
I've been spending a bunch of time at the track over the last few years - formula cars mostly - but decided to finally get the boxster out there.
In anticipation of a handful of events in March, I went through the car front to back and did a handful of things. While I haven't been on track yet with it, I have been out on the streets shaking down the tweaks and thought folks might want to hear a few comments.

First things to look at were driver controls.
- I fixed a niggling issue I've been having with the techart billet alum shift knob I have...I big the knob, but the two screws that clamp it to the shifter arm had worn through the threads on the knob itself leaving it loose. It's crazy how long I just put up with that. A trip to the hardware store and found a bold just slightly bigger (old ones were metric, this was a 'standard' theaded one so it was just a hair bigger)...problem solved. wow, what a difference a little thing makes.
- I had a set of techart-style aluminum pedals that I was just never that happy with. I ordered and installed a set of SPR (Sullivan Racing Pedals) pedals and I could not be happier....super grippy brake and clutch, smooth and HUGE gas pedal...again, what a difference the little things make
- I found a set of Cobra Suzuka Technology seats (their highest end carbon fiber shell, alcantara cover with Outlast microfiber cushions) on rennlist. A very nice guy / seller on the GT3 forum had them for sale with all the hardware (997 sliders, Brey Krause side mounts, sub strap bars, Schroth 6 point harnesses, BK harness mounting hardware, the whole thing...crazy good price and drop-in fitment. I did want a seat that was great at the track but could also be yummy enough for daily driving...these seats fit the bill...they are truly sweet. and 14 pounds per seat. 24 with hardware. dropped 40 pounds.

other safety:
- added BK roll bar extension and fire ext setup

more safety:
- brakes - made a few tweaks to the brakes, too early to tell how well they'll do at the track but added PFC 97 pads, SRF fluid, stainless lines, and GT3 brake ducts for cooling

suspension:
- until now I've just had stock S suspension plus Eibach springs. I didn't go crazy here but added the next 'logical' step...GT3 front sway, Tarret rear sway, and Tarett drop links all the way around
- also added a rear strut brace since EVO was having a blowout sale on theirs

Tires:
- I've been running PS2's very staggered (225/40/18, 285/30/18) on my 8.5/10 Kinesis K58's. I've decided to try a new tire (I love PS2's but anticipate chewing up street tires at the track so looked for something more economical) and 'square' out the stagger a bit - going with Dunlop Star Specs in 235/40, 265/35...would like to fit a 245 up front and I know many people do...but it just doesn't look like that's going to fit. and it'll be a significant enough change from my current setup that it'll be a good move in the right direction.

Other:
- with all the fiddling, and the fact that my battery was 5 years old, it died. I took the opportunity to drop a few pounds there and bought an Odyssey 925...dropped 22 pounds! It's a fully sealed battery, has been great so far, only cost $160 delivered to me, and I bought $4 worth of parts at Kragen to make an awesome tie down for it. the 925 fits super snug right into the existing battery tray, so not much else was needed to secure it.
- since I had the seats out, I pulled out the two subwoofers the prior owner of my car had in there, as well as the amp for them (almost 20 pounds worth) and pulled out all the K40 Calibre laser / radar stuff...I'm selling it to fund the other mods. It's a grat setup but I haven't had a ticket of any kind in 23 years...I don't need the added protection.
- I pulled out the carpet liners from both trunks but the hardly weigh anything so I put them back it.
- I also pulled out the rear cargo box, and the top and front insulated covers that surround the engine...those are heavy! like 25 pounds...and the car sounds great with them off so I'm leaving it like that for now.

I took the car for a little spin this evening and I've got to say, whether destined for the track or just around town, the Boxster remains one of those rare cars that is simply a kick in the pants to drive in all aspects. After owning this car for 7 years now, I'm so glad I've held onto it and enjoy it now more than ever. Now I can't wait to hit the track...Sears Point next Monday, Laguna Seca 2 weeks after that...it's gonna be fun.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #2

... looking at your list - if you're going to start tracking the car, you might want to consider the UnderDrive Pulley. Tarett also sells that. It may save power steering issues down the road. AND, give you maybe 5 more usable HP.

I know the BK bar is valuable for a little added safety for the track, but if you're planning any autocrosses - just remove and save 13 more pounds.

kj
Boxster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #3

thanks...

ya, absolutely...the next likely items are the UD pulley, rear toe links, and front lower control arms.

a great quote I heard recently: 'what part of Porsche racing' did you think was going to be cheap? the 'Porsche' part or the 'racing' part?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #4

good choices... the rear adjustable toe link however may not be necessary unless you're planning on getting outside the scope of adjustability with the stock cam/like adjuster - from lowering quite a bit. ...and the stock toe link is a little lighter than the aftermarket.

good luck,

kj
Boxster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 AM   #5

Bilsteins

I just completed a 2 day track event this past weekend since putting in the PSS9 suspension upgrade. All I can say is WOW!

Weekend Fun car: 02 Boxster S
Mark Dreyer is offline   Reply With Quote