Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 01:25 PM   #1

Problems with the electric windows

Hi everybody I have an S model year 99 with hard top and the two following problems with the electric windows. On the left one, when I open the door from outside, the glass doesn,t go down quickly and then it touch quite hard the garnish opening the door. On the right one, when I open the door, from both inside and outside, the window go down and then come back up even if the door keep opened; then when you close it, the glass knocks on the garnish. Anyone knows what I can do ? Thanks for your help.

an6box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:57 PM   #2

I'm not sure what you mean by "garnish". When I think of garnish, it's the lettuce, pickles and onion a chef puts on your hamburger!

The windows are supposed to lower a quarter of an inch or so when you open the door, and raise back up after the door is fully closed. Are you saying one window does not do this?

Either way, I think you need to get your car to a mechanic or the Porsche dealership to have it checked out. Sounds like you have alignment problems with your windows and hard top or motor problems inside the doors.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by an6box
On the left one, when I open the door from outside, the glass doesn,t go down quickly and then it touch quite hard the garnish opening the door.
How quickly is "quickly? There is suppose to be like a full second delay. Many times I find that this is due to user error so be patient.
If not then it sounds like the begining of a regulator malfunction. Are you getting streaks on the winow too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by an6box
On the right one, when I open the door, from both inside and outside, the window go down and then come back up even if the door keep opened; then when you close it, the glass knocks on the garnish.
I would suggest taking it to a Porsche Service and have them look at it. It could be the window regulator or relay. Parts and install of the window regulator should cost around $300 if I remember correctly(its been a while since mine went out).
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:04 PM   #4

More details for the windows problems

For RandallNeighbour: thank you ... and I apology for my bad english. Maybe the right term instead of garnish is gasket (in general it should be the plastic between two hard surfaces).

Quote: "... Are you saying one window does not do this? " : yes I'm saying this.

Additionally, I have to say that if I act slowly on the handle, eventually keeping it stopped for a second at the end, the window instead reamins down ultil the door is fully closed.

------------

For tqtran: thank you

Quote: " ...How quickly is "quickly? There is suppose to be like a full second delay. Many times I find that this is due to user error so be patient.
If not then it sounds like the begining of a regulator malfunction. Are you getting streaks on the winow too?

No streaks.

Additional information is that if I use the handle and then wait for a couple of seconds the glass goes down correctly. But any time I have a passenger and he/she try to open, anytime the glass knock on the internal side of the gasket.

Anyway thank you again to both of you!
an6box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:51 PM   #5

Sounds like a window regulator problem. Those things cost about $200 per door. I suggest you replace both. They usually break down at about the same time.

rrb986 is offline   Reply With Quote