Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #1

Boxster top problem

Hello. I have a 05 boxster and recently both pushrods broke. So i replaced them and my top still wont open and close properly. When opening, everything goes accordingly until its 3/4 way down. At that point, the top just drops down really quickly. Kind of slams down like there is nothing supporting it. The clam shell closes properly. When im putting the top up, the top goes up to about half way and stops moving. Im not sure what to do. What do you think is causing this? Please help

Tuppuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
DIY extremist

You may be running up against the safety system built in. In my experience, the 986 top mechanisms are "dumb" and will destroy themselves if improperly adjusted and the motor forced to do its thing.

The 996 Carrera cab I had would stop moving and blink the lights if anything was sensed to be out of alignment. I'd suspect that your 987 is the same and just needs an adjustment of the pushrods. If you're near the city and you want to bring your car to my garage space in Brooklyn, I'd be happy to take a look. I've never touched the pushrods on my 987, but did break, rebreak, and then finally properly adjust them on my 986.

black_box is offline   Reply With Quote