Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #1

996 Gauge Cluster Upgrade

I am looking at installing an instrument cluster from a 996 Carrera into my 986 Boxster, as described in the book titled "101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster." The 996 cluster includes a voltmeter and oil pressure gauge. Has anyone done this upgrade to their Boxster?

chicaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:23 AM   #2

Garage
no but it is something of interest for me. Especially when/if I take out my motor and put in a bigger one.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #3

Yup. Overall a fairly easy swap. You will need to install the 996 oil pressure sender in the passenger side cylinder head, and run the wire up to the cluster through the tunnel. Terminate the wire in a VW wire lead, so that you can insert it into the proper pin (depends on year) in the cluster wiring. The voltmeter picks up its reading from the harness.

There are two types of clusters out there, "new" vs "old." These correspond to pre 03 and post 03 for the Boxster, and for the 996, pre 02 and post 02. You want a cluster from a "base" 996 either way, as the Turbo and GT3 clusters will not work. If the base cluster you get came from a C4 or C4S, you will need to re-code the cluster to change the fuel quantity metering (ask me how I know this). If the cluster did not come from a Cabrio, you will need to code it to enable the top lights (pretty much you need access to a PST2 or PIWIS to do this).

You will also need to either modify your dash pod to accommodate the added voltage and oil pressure instruments, or get the dash pod from a 996.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #4

Anyone have part numbers for the various new or old, cabrio instruments.

You also have to consider Tip vs manual.

I saw the Pelican post about combining the 986 and 996 parts. Why can't you just add the additional 996 gauges to the 986 assembly?

PCA since 1970

Last edited by 70Sixter; 09-29-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Add more words
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote