Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #1

2000 986 lights issues

The lights on my 986 base are doing some strange things. I've been looking for some electrical diagrams to no avail. I'm certain that there is a relay/relays or a module that could be causing the problem but I haven't been able to find any.

The symptoms:

Headlights don't come on sometimes. When the do, they are dim. My fog lights are far brighter. Sometimes, I have a tail light that is brighter than the other and sometimes, when I turn off my lights, I'll see that one or the other of my headlights comes back on. I have verified that my switch is in the off position when that happens.

My alarm system seems to be compromised but I think that has more to do with my changing out the old Porsche Stereo/Cassette deck with a new Pioneer system. I think that there's a tab that needs grounding there.

Can anyone point me in a good direction? I suspect that there are others here who have some experience with these issues.

Thanks in advance,
Ken

wkb28791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #2

Were the lights acting up before you installed the Pioneer? Regardless, I would say you've got a short to ground near one of the headlight plugs- ins. The grounds are on the inside wall(s) of the frunk, 'beside' the headlights. Pull the carpet away at the top after pulling the rubber molding upwards. There's probably a frayed wire where it goes through the body ( a foot away from the ground). The next culprit would be the light switch- it's a common source for shorts. Do you have halogens or litronics?
PS you want to solve this as soon as possible as the alarm module can be a major expense if damaged.

Last edited by woodsman; 10-24-2013 at 11:38 AM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #3

These are the light units that originally came with the car. The left appears to have been replaced at some point but there is no record of that. I didn't notice the problem with the lights prior to replacing the Stereo.

Thanks for the response. I'll check those area's out.

wkb28791 is offline   Reply With Quote