Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #1

Garage
Spark Plug Recommendation ?

In my quest to isolate the exhaust squeal that's driving me nuts ! I've decided to check all of the sparks plugs on the Dangermobile for looseness - as others have suggested. I was thinking while I was in there, I might as well change them even though the D-mobile only 22k original miles on the OD. With that said, is there a particular brand/model that performs best that I should consider ?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #2

quite early for sparkplug replacement unless you have fouling issue.

I changed mine out at 50K miles w/ iridium denso. I use iridium for all of my vehicles, denso or NGK, the only two brands that I trust.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #3

JD
Porsche recommend replacing plugs every 4 years regardless of mileage (so it says in my service book).
Plugs for a 2000S should be either:

Beru 14FGR 6 KQU or 14FGR 7 KQU
Bosch FGR 6 KQC or FGR 7 KQC.
Tightening torque = 30+3 Nm (22+2 ft-lb).

I've used both brands and found no difference in performance, though Beru is more expensive here in Oz.
A lot of discussions on if you should or should not use anti-sieze paste on the threads - I do but that because I'm a bit old fashioned and I once had a siezed plug on my SAAB which caused a lot of grief at the time. I would be surprised that your original plugs have suddenly loosened, but you never know!
Hope this helps.....
Old 09-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
JD
Porsche recommend replacing plugs every 4 years regardless of mileage (so it says in my service book).
Plugs for a 2000S should be either:

Beru 14FGR 6 KQU or 14FGR 7 KQU
Bosch FGR 6 KQC or FGR 7 KQC.
Tightening torque = 30+3 Nm (22+2 ft-lb).

I've used both brands and found no difference in performance, though Beru is more expensive here in Oz.
A lot of discussions on if you should or should not use anti-sieze paste on the threads - I do but that because I'm a bit old fashioned and I once had a siezed plug on my SAAB which caused a lot of grief at the time. I would be surprised that your original plugs have suddenly loosened, but you never know!
Hope this helps.....
I'm thinking that a loose plug is probably a stretch on this one too. But, I'm willing to at least check them to make sure that one or more aren't loose. In any case, what's all the hype around iridium spark plugs ?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #5

Iridium are good on bikes revving to 15,000rpm and in Turbo engines - expensive and dont seem tohave the lifespan of standard copper core plugs.

As I said previously, I'm a bit old fashioned and if Porsche say use the Beru / Bosch plug type xxxx then that's what I use. Last thing I need is the wrong heat range or electrode length plugs in the engine.
Send JFPinPA or Jake Raby a pm (they must see heaps of plug data) - at least you will be getting good professional advice for nothing....

Getting back to your annoying squealing, could it be an exhaust internal baffle (weld) failure which can't be seen and difficult to accuratly locate without removing it?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Iridium are good on bikes revving to 15,000rpm and in Turbo engines - expensive and dont seem tohave the lifespan of standard copper core plugs.

As I said previously, I'm a bit old fashioned and if Porsche say use the Beru / Bosch plug type xxxx then that's what I use. Last thing I need is the wrong heat range or electrode length plugs in the engine.
Send JFPinPA or Jake Raby a pm (they must see heaps of plug data) - at least you will be getting good professional advice for nothing....

Getting back to your annoying squealing, could it be an exhaust internal baffle (weld) failure which can't be seen and difficult to accuratly locate without removing it?
At this point it's possible.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #7

Updating this old thread.

Getting ready to order a set of new spark plugs, and was wondering if there's been any recent brand or model number changes or updates since the date of this posting?

What's your current favorite plug?

Thanks - DM

Last edited by Dave80GTSi; 11-24-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #8
Need For Speed

Garage
Bosch FGR6KQE

Get them off eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pieces-oem-Bosch-FGR6KQE-4-Prong-Spark-Plug-Porsche-911-Boxster-Cayenne-8cyl/351300727838?hash=item51cb27b41e:g:93QAAOSwOjBZY1G t&vxp=mtr

Last edited by KRAM36; 11-24-2017 at 06:14 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
Updating this old thread.

Getting ready to order a set of new spark plugs, and was wondering if there's been any recent brand or model number changes or updates since the date of this posting?

What's your current favorite plug?

Thanks - DM
Beru, for this application(IE Boxster). Bosch are terrible, foul easy, poor quality(made in china, most of them except some oldies). NGK are not bad, but I don't think they have the heat range quite as nice as Beru, who also makes the coils. The detonation quality seems to be the best off these. Good luck with it.
Regards
77'911s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:13 PM   #10

+1 Beru all the way..

When you've lost engines due to Bosch plugs coming apart? You'll stop using them.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:25 AM   #11
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I put in NGK Iridiums last spring replacing the Beru that were in the car and the performance improved nicely.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #12
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
... What's your current favorite plug?
Thanks - DM
Last spring I was changing the plugs in about 10 of my (old and depreciated) cars, Porsche, Audi, VW. After doing some searching I ended up getting Denso Platinum TT 4504 (PK20TT) "Made in Japan". Lots of them, going into a wide range of engines. There was not an increase of 10 HP per plug, and I didn't get 50 miles more per tank of gas, but nothing has blown up and everything still runs smooth.
I'm still fairly simple when it comes to maintaining cars, so I'll call the them my current favorite: Versatile, not silly expensive, cars run smooth and engines don't blow up.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #13

Garage
Replaced mine with Beru last year; running great!
Old 11-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77'911s View Post
Beru, for this application(IE Boxster). Bosch are terrible, foul easy, poor quality(made in china, most of them except some oldies). NGK are not bad, but I don't think they have the heat range quite as nice as Beru, who also makes the coils. The detonation quality seems to be the best off these. Good luck with it.
Regards
Hum, my packages say there are made in Germany.

I've had 2 sets in my Boxster S with no issues. Set that was in the car when I bought it, set I put in 2 years ago when I replaced some cracked ignition coils. I found some more ignition coils cracked this summer and replaced all 6 with some APOL "Performance" ignition coils along with new plugs since I had access to them.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:05 AM   #15

I've also heard bad things about bosch lately. This was from one of the top porsche mechanic's in the country besides Brad Robert
Old 11-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #16

Garage
Anybody use Bosch Platinum+4 4417? Is this an OEM part? TIA.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Hum, my packages say there are made in Germany.

I've had 2 sets in my Boxster S with no issues. Set that was in the car when I bought it, set I put in 2 years ago when I replaced some cracked ignition coils. I found some more ignition coils cracked this summer and replaced all 6 with some APOL "Performance" ignition coils along with new plugs since I had access to them.
Interesting, the one's I've gotten were made in china and the detonation quality was terrible. I've tried them all, as we have multiple 986's in the family. The 01 we have came with Beru's when new and we're still on all the original coils, no cracks or misfires.
Having said that, I'm about to try a set of china made Bosch injectors in one of the cars. So, I'm interested to see how they are.
Regards
77'911s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:57 PM   #18
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
spark plugs - any preferences?