986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   How do I reset the engine, learning mode? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/48197-how-do-i-reset-engine-learning-mode.html)

BobMarley1 09-04-2013 07:01 AM

How do I reset the engine, learning mode?

I had to unplug my battery, now the low end power just seems flat.

I recall that there is a learning mode or time frame or something.

So I unplugged, entered the radio code and went on a spirited drive. That didn't help.

I searched...

Thanks@!

thstone 09-04-2013 11:51 AM

Learning mode in the ECU happens automatically. The best thing to do is drive spiritedly in varying conditions (city and open road) along with a few start/stops that encompass about 50 miles over a couple of days.

Don't expect miracles in terms of additional power as the learning mode is intended to optimize engine performance for controlling emissions not maximizing power (though a clean running engine will typically produce ever slightly more power).

Steve Tinker 09-05-2013 12:56 AM

Not quite true stoney ...
After disconnection of the battery, you have to reset the system by turning on the ignition (without starting the engine), for +/- 60 seconds, then switch off the ignition and remove the key for 10 seconds.
Restart car as normal.

thstone 09-05-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Tinker (Post 361469)
After disconnection of the battery, you have to reset the system by turning on the ignition (without starting the engine), for +/- 60 seconds, then switch off the ignition and remove the key for 10 seconds.
Restart car as normal.

Interesting. I've never heard this nor seen any shop do it. Everyone I know simply disconnects the battery for a bit to clear the ECU. Then re-connect and it is supposed to start fresh. I'll test both approaches and post the results...

Nine8Six 09-06-2013 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Tinker (Post 361469)
Restart car as normal.

Wow looks like I've never reset my ecu then. Tried however! Changed every possible sensors and other things can't remember what, all needed me to reset the ecu.

Like the OP I was simply unplugging the POS off the battery for 30min and that was it loll

Learning everyday, great forum!

kk2002s 09-06-2013 06:02 AM

If you do not do the reset routine will the car simply use the baseline that is already learned by the ECU?

I disconnected battery to do some door work and I just restarted, drove around the block to make sure the car ran ok. Then drove to work the next day.

Curious thing is that a few days later it appears my Fuel pump relay went bad.
Coincident or cause?

I hate when I try and do the right thing and get smacked down

BobMarley1 09-06-2013 11:51 AM

Thanks guys! I guess I haven't driven it enough, although yesterday it did get better, after doing the key in the ignition thing...

Steve Tinker 09-06-2013 05:25 PM

Bob - "doing the key in the ignition thing" just resets the ECU parameters. You need to disconnect the battery again and then "do the key thing" to get the desired results.
Some cars run really sluggishly (like mine), others not so bad. Your ECU will relearn the settings eventually, but it takes about 4 or 5 heat / cooling cycles, thats why the key thing gets it set from the word go......