Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2005, 06:06 PM   #1
creseida

Question Changing the colour of the LCD Display

Has anyone changed the colour of the illumination of their instrument cluster here?

I would like to change my instrumentation to a blue illumination...it will be easier on my over-sensitive-to-light eyes, and as my car is dark blue metal-flake, I think it would look nice. s
I've seen this kit on ebay but naturally I am skeptical.

Has anyone done anything like this before, and if so, where did you get the bulbs (or whatever is needed) to do it?

Thanks

Last edited by creseida; 06-03-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:13 PM   #2

I have never seen such a thing in the Box. You can change colors in a Lexus but they use a different lighting technology I believe.

Interesting!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:00 AM   #3
olly986

sensitive to light eyes!!
it is very hard to read your threads late at night !!!
make it bigger man!
Old 12-27-2005, 02:13 AM   #4

Great thread on this a while back on 6speed. I will be doing this soon also!

copy paste:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=30724&goto=newpost

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:16 AM   #5
creseida

Olly, are you referring to my text? It appears the same size as everyone elses...at least on my screen. Just a different colour and font.

And for the record, I'm a gal, not a guy.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:21 AM   #6

This guy also has a 25 bulb kit for the climate control unit, but I tell you that would be a pain to get into and do!

I'd love to do this though.... my Alpine head unit as blue LED's and matching everything else would be great.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
creseida

So, it seems the ebay kit is legit? Sweet.

Randall, where did you find out about the climate control lights...geez...25 bulbs in that thing????

Now once I get my Bentley manual (hello Amazon...I'm still waiting) so I don't screw anything up whilst disassembling the dash, I'll go ahead and order it.

Last edited by creseida; 06-03-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:06 AM   #8

Click below to see his new page, just for the climate control...

http://www.porscheleds.com/996ac.html

Last night, while oh so carefully gluing on my new trim rings for my instrument cluster, I got to thinking... I had lots of time to sit and stare at my dash while the superglue dried!

In many cases, these aftermarket bulbs don't last nearly as long as factory originals. I have no personal, long-term experience with these blue LED's, but wonder about their quality. I sure would hate for one of these bulbs to burn out in the climate control. What a pain to replace!

What brought this to mind was when I put some bluish headlamps in my Lexus LS400. They worked for about 4 months and then one burned out. My mechanic told me those bulbs were crap for the most part and that I should run factory bulbs and be happy with original equipment.

We all may want to think about this before we go replacing tiny bulbs in our climate control units for the sake of color uniformity. Might be more hassle than it's worth in the long run, and who knows, I might just break something while removing dash pieces.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 12-28-2005 at 06:12 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:12 PM   #9
olly986

Quote:
Originally Posted by creseida
Olly, are you referring to my text? It appears the same size as everyone elses...at least on my screen. Just a different colour and font.

And for the record, I'm a gal, not a guy.

Thanks Deary! (only joking)
much better now, if you change font size, 10 for one font can be smaller for another and yours was very small and pinkish.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:52 AM   #10

So I took a look at the LED's from http://www.porscheleds.com for the climate control and the instrument panel, but they're only good for 1997-2000 Boxsters.

Does the same exist for 2003 Boxster? This amber thing just isn't working out. Would love to get mine in blue.

cuebei is offline   Reply With Quote