986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Automatic Roof - One Touch Mods (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/48096-automatic-roof-one-touch-mods.html)

smygolf 10-16-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

And RoboTop will resume shipping worldwide.
Thats Realy good to hear!

Quote:

What happens if you need to put top in service mode?
Press the button again and the top will stop.

tuanle16 10-16-2013 06:07 PM

i think i had the original robotop when it first came out. but there was a problem with the light. the switch no longer illuminated underneath with the relay in place. has that been fixed? if so, i am interested again. is there a discount for forum members? no biggie if not..just curious.

Guvs 10-16-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuanle16 (Post 367931)
i think i had the original robotop when it first came out. but there was a problem with the light. the switch no longer illuminated underneath with the relay in place. has that been fixed? if so, i am interested again. is there a discount for forum members? no biggie if not..just curious.

Funny you should be asking that.
My exact thoughts as well, thstone what do you think ?
Guvs.
I could be your UK Rep. lol !!

KevinH1990 10-19-2013 09:41 AM

According to the robotop web site, the backlight of the button will not work.

Robo-Top, One-Touch Convertible Top Module for 996 Cabriolets and 986 Boxsters, Convertible top module for Boxster and 911 Carrera

Although it seems like that would be relatively simple to address, it might be that the circuit for the backlight is being used for another function.

Polaris 10-22-2013 01:46 PM

I made a top opener using an Arduino board. I haven't posted about it since I installed it in May because I wanted to be sure it was reliable first.

It mimics the way the power windows work:
short tap on open or close will fully auto-open/close the top (less than .5 second tap), another tap or long press of either open or close will stop the current auto-open/close function. Holding on open or close will manually open or close the top for as long as you hold it.

the only annoying thing is that it needs a switched +12v supply...I just spliced into the stereo's switched +12v (not the +12v switched by the stereo being on, the +12v from the ignition being on).

Arduino nano:$10
transistors, resistor, and 5v regulator:$10 -$15 (had all parts laying around)
Fun/simple Saturday geek-out project:$priceless

986_inquiry 10-23-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris (Post 368767)
I made a top opener using an Arduino board. I haven't posted about it since I installed it in May because I wanted to be sure it was reliable first.

It mimics the way the power windows work:
short tap on open or close will fully auto-open/close the top (less than .5 second tap), another tap or long press of either open or close will stop the current auto-open/close function. Holding on open or close will manually open or close the top for as long as you hold it.

the only annoying thing is that it needs a switched +12v supply...I just spliced into the stereo's switched +12v (not the +12v switched by the stereo being on, the +12v from the ignition being on).

Arduino nano:$10
transistors, resistor, and 5v regulator:$10 -$15 (had all parts laying around)
Fun/simple Saturday geek-out project:$priceless

very nice! Where do you buy your Arduino boards?

Also the 987 solved this: from 6mph to ~35mph the roof is automatic one touch. Under 6mph and you have to hold the switch.

mikesz 02-19-2016 03:56 AM

I did this mod. works great. I bought a spare so I can always change back if I need to.