986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Ims (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/47279-ims.html)

trimer 07-24-2013 03:30 PM

Ims

Picking up boxster tomorrow. After I signed papers the owner got his class action stuff in mail...he then went and read all about the bearing issue and got nervous. He never had an issue in his 17,000 miles but some reason put fear enough into him to actually split the cost of the LN upgrade with me. So on Aug 5th...new bearing going to be installed and I only am paying half the price. What a nice guy...original owner and loves his car and wants me to not have to worry about the future. So that and have them check all the other items when they do the swap but with 17000 miles everything should be solid...fingers crossed. Next up new hankooks! Car will be set for a while...wait it's a boxster so a while might be too long!

Mark_T 07-24-2013 05:20 PM

Wow, nice guy!

Brad Roberts 07-25-2013 11:27 AM

Very lucky!!

trimer 07-25-2013 02:38 PM

Aug 5th bright and early it is going in. Hell now I am more worried about the LN IMS failing. seems that if they are not installed perfectly it could be castasrophic. wouldn't that be something...pulling out a good bearing for one that fails! LOL...lets hope not!

Brad Roberts 07-25-2013 02:42 PM

where is this information coming from??

Flat out ASK the shop how many they have done!!

I know exactly how many SSF the wholesaler is selling for LN.. I'd also hear how many failures!! I have heard of exactly ONE (due to improper installation)

I have this **funny** feeling shop owners are being told this in WordPac classes??

trimer 07-25-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Roberts (Post 353797)
where is this information coming from??

Flat out ASK the shop how many they have done!!

I know exactly how many SSF the wholesaler is selling for LN.. I'd also hear how many failures!! I have heard of exactly ONE (due to improper installation)

I have this **funny** feeling shop owners are being told this in WordPac classes??

Did a search on google for LN IMS Failure and found info on a few. The shop I am going to has had no failures using the bearing. But there are more than one out there...but again - as I stated, sounds more like the bearing in not the issue but the way they are installed can make it have issues.

mikefocke 07-26-2013 11:34 AM

LN has shared with me in the past their failure figures and I've posted them.

Porsche has admitted to their failure rates.

You are at least 10 times as safe without the Porsche supplied OEM bearing in there even including installation-caused ones in the counts.

By all means, don't hesitate to ask how many the mechanic has done ... not the shop. It matters a great deal. Also ask to see cam deviation figures pre and post installation.

southernstar 07-29-2013 07:02 AM

Mike, a great suggestion re: the cam variation numbers. If a bad installation, once would expect it to show up there first.