Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Top down

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Pastor T
Once again 986 Forum saved me!

Thanks 986 forum. Your help saved me. here's my story. My convertible top switch started working intermittently. seemed like it was the switch itself. No brainier. So i got a switch at the local dismantler. no help. still intermittent. however when I started to do the research I found about 7 things it could be. Not being much of an electrician I checked the obvious. Fuses ok, I hit the relay on the bench a few times, still no help. The e- brake was on, the windows were lowering the proper 4 inches. It could only be the speed sensor, the rear clamshell switch, the center windshield switch, (I recently started using the red clip, so I thot I might have somehow damaged the switch). So before I started guessing which switch to replace and tearing my car apart, I continued to read more 986 threads. I finally found the answer. The e-brake was on but the dash light for the e-brake was not on. I raised and lowered the handle and noticed the light go on and off. When the handle was in certain positions the light was on in other the light was off. If I positioned the lever with the light on, no matter where on the total range of motion, the top worked fine. So at least I know where the problem is, thanks again. Hopes this helps someone.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #2

FYI
A switch can easily be fitted for the handbrake and the relay can easily be modified for the speed , enabling top activation on the go (at low speeds obviously)

Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote