986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Engine Washing ? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/46779-engine-washing.html)

Johnny Danger 07-02-2013 05:34 PM

Engine Washing ?

Ironically, the interior and exterior of the Dangermobile has always been kept in concours condition, but the engine bay looks like crap. I'd like to get away from the "if I can't see it who cares" mentality. With that said, I'm looking for a good way to get it nice and clean without causing any electrical or mechanical problems. Any advice ?

Kenny Boxster 07-02-2013 06:37 PM

WD-40 and a shop towel for large amounts of dusty engine plastic. Sounds like redneck detailing but works surprisingly well, and beats the expensive stuff on the shelf. Homeboy981 showed me that one, and it is safe for plastics. Just spray some on the towel and it wipes off the dust effortlessly.

RandallNeighbour 07-02-2013 06:50 PM

Would the WD40 not leaves greasy residue that would get it dirty fast afterward?

Johnny Danger 07-02-2013 06:52 PM

Where does the hose and degreaser come in ?

Topless 07-02-2013 07:43 PM

I did this shortly after I bought the car. I carefully hand wiped and cleaned the entire top of the motor and all the tubing and hoses.... One week later I opened the motor cover to show a friend my concours workmanship and it was back to a filthy freekin mess. What gives, I just cleaned this??? Then I learned about Boxster airflow and how it picks up air from under the car, cools the trans and oil cooler and goes out the passenger side vent. Every time I drive down a dusty street or pull off the road it buries my engine in dust. I'm now over it. :o

Hayden 07-02-2013 08:55 PM

Degreaser and a rag can get things pretty clean. Sometimes coupled with a spray bottle of hot water. I use simple green, but it's probably too strong for the dangermobile's innards, and people talk about how it corrodes stuff (with equal numbers saying it doesn't.) 303 aerospace protectant on the plastic bits will give them new life and keep them looking good. If you don't have some of this stuff for in-general care of your car, get some. It's really amazing.

Regarding this particular engine being dirty due to its design and placement, I don't know. Just based on my experience from other cars. No need to get it wet to get it clean. Just be prepared to get grease all the way up your arms. You'll feel better about knowing what got what on where, rather than using water. Oh, and keep it off your paint, obviously.

Heiko 07-03-2013 02:40 AM

I use the Simple green on mine as well (or Orange Solve Ind. Cleaner - for days where you need that added citrus smell :D ).... spray it on and then rinse it off with just the hose (hot water works best)... on the areas where there is heavy oil you might need a brush and do it a couple of times... (I used to use Castrol CleanAll - it works really good but really dries out plastic parts). When its all done I usually spray some Silicon spray on all the wiring and hoses for a little added protection. Just make sure you use a silicon spray that dries... otherwise you'll turn it into a magnet for dust. I've been doing that once a year to my BMW and the engine compartment as well and it stays looking like new (even though it gets driven all year round).

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1372847975.jpg

schoir 07-03-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayden (Post 349955)
I use simple green, but it's probably too strong for the dangermobile's innards, and people talk about how it corrodes stuff (with equal numbers saying it doesn't.)

I've had good results with "Simple Green Extreme" as that formulation does not corrode or etch anything, whether metal, aluminum or plastic.

Regards, Maurice.

BYprodriver 07-03-2013 07:30 AM

Simple green & a brush did this but if you leave uncoated aluminum parts soaking in it the AL will turn brown.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1372865408.jpg

Johnny Danger 07-03-2013 10:37 AM

What are the keys areas to cover when spraying with water ?

Gilles 07-03-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schoir (Post 349975)
I've had good results with "Simple Green Extreme" as that formulation does not corrode or etch anything, whether metal, aluminum or plastic.

Regards, Maurice.

When my AOS failed I had a mess everywhere, I first used a standard engine degreaser (spray can), rinsed with water and then used simply green, rinsed again and ended up with a great results.

I think it's important to rinse with Low Pressure water..

BYprodriver 07-03-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 350008)
What are the keys areas to cover when spraying with water ?

electrical connections & Interior

jaykay 07-03-2013 12:13 PM

The only process for you is Cryo-Detail

BYprodriver 07-03-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 350020)

Oh yeah that is awesome! I had that done to the last engine I sent to LN for sleeves. It works great but hard to find anyone with the equipment.

Johnny Danger 07-03-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 350020)

Like Walt Disney ?

jaykay 07-03-2013 03:06 PM

No man.... Austin Powers...yeeeeah!

Ian c 07-03-2013 05:14 PM

Dry ice blasting .
Expensive though .....

I was last quoted 4k to do the underside of the boxster as this is what they charged last time on a Jensen .
Not a chance... I'll strip it and clean everything in the bathtub before I pay that :D

jaykay 07-03-2013 07:55 PM

4K???

Outrageous!

BYprodriver 07-04-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian c (Post 350073)
Dry ice blasting .
Expensive though .....

I was last quoted 4k to do the underside of the boxster as this is what they charged last time on a Jensen .
Not a chance... I'll strip it and clean everything in the bathtub before I pay that :D

I pay $100 per hour to a guy down in San Diego.

Dry Ice blasting is popular at shipyards for barnacle removal

You can get your own machine for about $12,000

Ian c 07-04-2013 09:31 AM

Yeah I thought it was outrageous too !!
I never replied after that .

I would definitely be interested in contact details for the guy in sd .....

We will be down there soon for the SoCal euro meet :)