Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2006, 12:08 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Wheel Spacers

I know its been discussed several times on the forum but I just couldn’t find it. I just put on 5mm spacers on my rear wheels with the factory bolts. Is it really necessary to get longer bolts for 5mm spacers???

TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:42 AM   #2
olly986

does it really makes a difference on the driving to add spacers and is it noticeable or purely esthetic to have these big wheels coming out of your arches?

go into forum search and check for :bolts and spacers you will see a few threads for this

Last edited by olly986; 01-02-2006 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:44 AM   #3
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
I know its been discussed several times on the forum but I just couldn’t find it. I just put on 5mm spacers on my rear wheels with the factory bolts. Is it really necessary to get longer bolts for 5mm spacers???
Yes, you need bolts that are 5mm longer. They are Tequipment 996 361 980 02. These are anti-theft too.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986
does it really makes a difference on the driving to add spacers and is it noticeable or purely esthetic to have these big wheels coming out of your arches?

go into forum search and check for :bolts and spacers you will see a few threads for this

It is actually not much for show....I have 18X10 wheels running 285/30/18 in the rears and they fit fine but the clearance is sooooooo tight between the wheel and the strut i just wanted to make sure it doesnt rub under extreme driving situations.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #5

We have a local owner with 6 or 7 mm spacers (I forget) and 996 wheels. He drove the car a long time with the standard wheel bolts. I use to tease him that his wheels would come off, but they never did. He recently put in the wheel bolts for the GT3 which are 5 mm longer.

5 mm is not much. But Porsche says to use the longer wheels bolts.

How many turns do you get with the standard bolts and spacers. How many turns do you get with the standard bolts and no spacers.

There is a rule of thumb for the number of turns to determine of you need longer bolts, but I forget what it is. A few years ago I counted the number of turns with the standard bolts and no spacers. I think it was 7 and a half turns, which was a lot more than the rule of thumb
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
olly986

i think a third of the bolt thread makes a good safe tightning
Old 01-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
We have a local owner with 6 or 7 mm spacers (I forget) and 996 wheels. He drove the car a long time with the standard wheel bolts. I use to tease him that his wheels would come off, but they never did. He recently put in the wheel bolts for the GT3 which are 5 mm longer.

5 mm is not much. But Porsche says to use the longer wheels bolts.

How many turns do you get with the standard bolts and spacers. How many turns do you get with the standard bolts and no spacers.

There is a rule of thumb for the number of turns to determine of you need longer bolts, but I forget what it is. A few years ago I counted the number of turns with the standard bolts and no spacers. I think it was 7 and a half turns, which was a lot more than the rule of thumb

Thanks tool pants, I think i should be ok with the Standard bolts, I will eventually get the longer ones, but as the car is my daily driver i didnt want to have to wait for the bolts to come in. Its $160 if i bought the porsche extended bolts for two wheels that include the anti theft bolt.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #8

Hi,

You may be OK, but then again if not, $100 - $200 for the Proper Bolts will Pale in comparison to what it will cost you if you're wrong. I mean Porsche didn't simply make this up, if they say you need Longer Bolts, I suspect it's for a reason. Personally, I wouldn't risk it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:22 AM   #9

... but does having 5, 6 or 7mm spacers make a "noticable" difference in the car's handling?
spgribben007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:03 AM   #10
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgribben007
... but does having 5, 6 or 7mm spacers make a "noticable" difference in the car's handling?

I ordered my 987S with the factory 5mm spacers. I did this more for esthetics. I don't expect the handling to be notably different.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgribben007

I highly doubt it, my car was already riding 18X10 285/30/18. I only put them on to ensure myself that the wheel will not rub the inside strut during hard driving.