Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #1

Cam holding tool hardware *searched

Hey guys I am in the process of pulling the cam covers and I am in need of the thread size for the cam holding tool bolts.

Preferably both the bolt size that goes into the cam, and the thread size for the bolt that holds it to the head.

I searched for this and it has been asked, but I could not find an answer...

Hopefully someone knows and can help me shortly!

Thanks

2010 CBR1000RR- Sold
Wilson01S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #2

I removed the cam plugs and inspect the ends of the camshafts so I could get the appropriate bolts...but there does not seem to be any bolt holes in the end!!! Just a slot in on, and an indentation on the other with what looks to be like a little brass plug tapped in.

What gives?
2010 CBR1000RR- Sold
Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson01S View Post
Hey guys I am in the process of pulling the cam covers and I am in need of the thread size for the cam holding tool bolts.

Preferably both the bolt size that goes into the cam, and the thread size for the bolt that holds it to the head.

I searched for this and it has been asked, but I could not find an answer...

Hopefully someone knows and can help me shortly!

Thanks
Bolts on mine are M8's
Old 05-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson01S View Post
I removed the cam plugs and inspect the ends of the camshafts so I could get the appropriate bolts...but there does not seem to be any bolt holes in the end!!! Just a slot in on, and an indentation on the other with what looks to be like a little brass plug tapped in.

What gives?
They don't have bolt holes, the hex head of the bolt sits in the end of the cams to hold them, which is why the bolt size is important (otherwise the hex head would get into the plugs and potentially damage them).
Old 05-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
They don't have bolt holes, the hex head of the bolt sits in the end of the cams to hold them, which is why the bolt size is important (otherwise the hex head would get into the plugs and potentially damage them).
Thank you very much!
2010 CBR1000RR- Sold
Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #6

Here are some pics of a homemade cam holding tool.
986fix.com - photos
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:31 AM   #7
pjq

my bolt is M8 x 25mm x 1.5(thread) diagonal of hex head is 14mm. The 14mm fits nicely into the end of the cam. If you want to use an allan head bolt use one that has a 14mm head, bolt size will be M9 or M10.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjq View Post
my bolt is M8 x 25mm x 1.5(thread) diagonal of hex head is 14mm. The 14mm fits nicely into the end of the cam. If you want to use an allan head bolt use one that has a 14mm head, bolt size will be M9 or M10.
Thanks! Thats almost exactly what I went with. I believe it was an M9 x 40mm and the hex head was 13mm. Fit nicely and held the cams well!

I will post of some of my pics of the (very quick) tool I made using 1.5" angle steel, and pair of torches, and a MIG welder. There are some great templates on this forum with the dimensions, and anyone with some basic skills can easily make one and sell the money.

That being said if anyone ever needs to borrow a tool let me know!

2010 CBR1000RR- Sold