986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Melting fuses question (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/46175-melting-fuses-question.html)

mikesz 05-28-2013 05:15 PM

Melting fuses question

Anyone have an idea why my car is melting fuses? About a month ago the heater blower fuse melted. I mean it was a glob of melted plastic and one of the blades and broken off and was still in the fuse block. I had to carefully fish it out and replaced the fuse with a new one. 2 weeks ago same thing happened to the fuel pump fuse only this time it melted onto the fuse block. I had the car towed to the dealer and waiting for a new fuse block from Germany. I have never experienced anything like this with any car I ever owned. Just wondering what would cause this to happen.

tonycarreon 05-29-2013 01:51 AM

have you had the alternator checked?

GemballaPhil 05-30-2013 10:57 PM

Might be a bad connection or a bad bit of wire that's heating it up. I'm a domestic appliance engineer and that's the most common cause for burnt out switches and thermostats.

Steve Tinker 05-31-2013 03:43 PM

^^^^
I'm with Phil - the usual culprit is a loose or poor high resistance connection (the fuse's spade connector springs to mind).
Most times its obvious when you pull the fuse / connection block as you can see the burnt PVC insulation & discoloured copper where the heat started.

mikesz 06-19-2013 11:59 AM

Inskip said the some moisture must have gotten to the fuse panel at some point and corroded some wires and fuses. Replaced the parts with new ones $30 parts $400 in labor.

mikesz 07-16-2013 07:15 AM

Happened again to me this past weekend. The car started to overheat, light was going on but fortunately I was close to home. checked the fuses first thing cause I thought I smelled an electrical smell and the 2 fuses for the radiator fans were blown. one was just blown the other was partially melted. when I looked at the blades they seemed somewhat corroded. could it be just the corrosion is causing the issue and replacing the old fuses with new ones will take care of the melting fuse problem?

Spinnaker 07-16-2013 01:14 PM

Get some CorrosionX and apply to the fuse terminals.
CorrosionX Lubricant/Penetrant, 16 oz. aerosol (90102) : Amazon.com : Automotive

woodsman 07-17-2013 12:44 PM

Are all of the fuse blades corroded? When did you buy your car and are there any indications that it's been in a flood????

mikesz 07-26-2013 06:36 AM

No signs of flood damage. cannot use anti-corrosion there is damage to the fuse block. anyone know a reputable, good automotive electrical shop in ri?

mikesz 08-30-2013 09:31 AM

Hi all, when I checked out the fuses there was some corrosion so water damage yes. I replaced all the fuses with new ones. My cooling fans kept blowing fuses. When I checked my right fan wasnt working at all. So I replaced it and now its fine. the left one only works on the High cycle leading me to belive the balast resister is toast. Bought a new fan and resistor and going to replace the left fan.

woodsman 08-30-2013 10:44 AM

So now you have a new fuse block and new fuses, right? Hope there's no leaks above the block.:eek: