986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Third day of ownership. Car won't start. (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/4597-third-day-ownership-car-wont-start.html)

sportunage 12-24-2005 03:48 PM

Third day of ownership. Car won't start.

Hello all,
I am the proud new owner of a 1998 boxster w/ 45k miles on the odo. The car is in mint condition inside and out. The car came complete w/ all service records that indicated a loving history with the previous owner. Today (christmas eve) I got up extra early to wrap up my Christmas shopping. When I came out and attempted to start the car, all of the accessory lights come on and the vehicle has full battery/ electrical power. However when I turn the ignition to the start position I get nothing. The vehicle is still powered up but the starter doesn't engage. Has any one else had this problem? I'm not sure what it could be. I checked the ignition fuse at the kick panel but was unable to locate a starter fuse at that location. Any ideas? Shop manual is definately my next purchase.

Thanks in advance,
Jacques

prOk 12-24-2005 05:33 PM

This may sound stupid, but make sure your floormats aren't getting in the way of the clutch switch..

98Boxster98 12-24-2005 06:58 PM

Hi sportunage:

Older Boxsters are notorious for failing ignition switches. It's about a $35 part and about 15-30 minutes of remove and replace. Search for threads here about changing out the ignition switch or try looking at www.rentech.org.

natecooper 12-24-2005 08:52 PM

This happened to me too. For me it was the electronics control unit underneath the drivers seat, it had gotten wet and failed. Check behind and underneath the drivers seat for wet spots. Hopefully this is not the case as it is around 1000 bucks when all is said and done.

Brucelee 12-25-2005 08:10 AM

My first two guesses would be

Switch under clutch is defective.

Ignition switch is defective. These are notorious for being faulty.

Merry Christmas anyway!

:cheers:

sportunage 12-25-2005 12:08 PM

Thanks guys.

I agree with Bruce Lee as far as it being either the ignition switch or the clutch triggering switch. Thanks for all of the advice. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on what it would cost to have these items repaired at a (non-dealer) Porsche repair shop? I've researched the ignition switch and see that the part is cheap. How about the clutch trigger? Is that a costly repair? Once I get her back home I'll post pics of the 986 forum family member. I'll get these checked and let you guys know what the problem was. Thanks again....

Jacques

Brucelee 12-25-2005 02:06 PM

I think we are talking 1 hr labor each on these repairs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportunage
Thanks guys.

I agree with Bruce Lee as far as it being either the ignition switch or the clutch triggering switch. Thanks for all of the advice. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on what it would cost to have these items repaired at a (non-dealer) Porsche repair shop? I've researched the ignition switch and see that the part is cheap. How about the clutch trigger? Is that a costly repair? Once I get her back home I'll post pics of the 986 forum family member. I'll get these checked and let you guys know what the problem was. Thanks again....

Jacques

sportunage 12-29-2005 12:27 AM

[QUOTE=natecooper]This happened to me too. For me it was the electronics control unit underneath the drivers seat, it had gotten wet and failed. Check behind and underneath the drivers seat for wet spots. Hopefully this is not the case as it is around 1000 bucks when all is said and done.[/QUOTE

I had the car looked at and it turns out that Natecooper was correct (kind of). It turns out the immobilizer box under the drivers seat ( I think we're talking about the same box) had a blown fuse. Seat had to be removed for the fuse to be replaced. Cost me 80 bucks to repair. I'm back on the road and if this happens again I'll save $80 and buy a fuse. I wonder if this had anything to do with going to the hand carwash? I didn't feel any wet spots under the seat and there's no indication of a leak anywhere..... I'll be washing the car myself from here on out.

Thanks for the advice,
Jacques

bmussatti 12-29-2005 04:09 AM

Jacques, good job!

Yes, you are correct, hand washing is best. There is some great car care advice in this forum. Do some searches, and you'll learn a ton!

Happy New Year.