986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Fabspeed Race Exhaust (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/45885-fabspeed-race-exhaust.html)

Johnny Danger 05-17-2013 05:15 PM

Fabspeed Race Exhaust

Anyone here have Fabspeed's race exhaust on his or her boxster ? I recall hearing that a couple of members did. Looking for some feedback.

Yellow986S 05-18-2013 05:28 PM

I am interested in the Fabspeed Race Exhaust. Is anyone looking to do a group buy for the exhaust? If we get enough interest I can contact Fabspeed and see what kind of a discount they can give us.

Johnny Danger 05-18-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow986S (Post 343279)
I am interested in the Fabspeed Race Exhaust. Is anyone looking to do a group buy for the exhaust? If we get enough interest I can contact Fabspeed and see what kind of a discount they can give us.

That's a nice gesture, but I'm going to need special fabrication in order for it to work with my system. With that said, I don't expect Fabspeed will move on the the price in my situation.

drbodzin 05-18-2013 06:20 PM

I am interested in just the Fabspeed 986 200 Cell Catalytic Converters, Boxster (1997-99). I already have headers and muffler.

Johnny Danger 05-18-2013 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd love to find someone who could fabricate something like this for me. :)

ccstud17 05-19-2013 06:12 PM

id be down if they hooked us up on pricing

JAAY 05-19-2013 08:24 PM

@danger. That is sexy. Looks kinda like what I have now.

EssexPorsche 05-20-2013 07:38 AM

JD , is that going to be 'streetable' ? wicked looking piece of kit but i can only imagine the sound?? Must be off the meter when coupled to the rest of your set-up!

Johnny Danger 05-20-2013 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by EssexPorsche (Post 343505)
JD , is that going to be 'streetable' ? wicked looking piece of kit but i can only imagine the sound?? Must be off the meter when coupled to the rest of your set-up!

I'm actually in contact with M&M Exhaust in Germany to see if they can fab me something along those lines. They already have a killer race exhaust for the 987, so I'm confident that they will be able to reproduce it for my vehicle. :)

Not the best photo.

EssexPorsche 05-20-2013 12:09 PM

Wow, I would just love that.

Johnny Danger 05-20-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssexPorsche (Post 343547)
Wow, I would just love that.

I'm looking to secure a group buy price if you're interested ?

Stiletto Pat 05-20-2013 06:28 PM

Custom Exhaust

JD, you're just speaking about a group buy for the exhaust after the headers / cats backwards, correct? I still need headers with sport cats, but would be interested in seeing a total solution.

Thanks,

Pat

Johnny Danger 05-20-2013 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiletto Pat (Post 343590)
JD, you're just speaking about a group buy for the exhaust after the headers / cats backwards, correct? I still need headers with sport cats, but would be interested in seeing a total solution.

Thanks,

Pat

Just so you're aware, M&M's headers with 200 cell HJS cats retail for $3800.00 !

EssexPorsche 05-20-2013 09:40 PM

JD, I'm going to stay 'subscribed' to see how you get on, but I'd have to say that due to a very long list of competing priorities for the car, I couldn't follow that up at that price right now.

I've got suspension, spacers, ud pulley, potentially motor mounts as well.
But it's a superb looking piece of kit.

stephen wilson 05-21-2013 04:21 AM

Why go to Germany? Any competent fabricator/race shop could weld up that exhaust to your specifications.

Johnny Danger 05-21-2013 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen wilson (Post 343632)
Why go to Germany? Any competent fabricator/race shop could weld up that exhaust to your specifications.

Do you know of any ? I've scoured the internet looking for a custom exhaust fabricator who would be willing to fab a catback exhaust for a 986 boxster. So far, I've found only two. And, their prices are no less expensive than M&M's. M&M is the custom fabricator behind many of the big name tuners throughout Europe, to include the Porsche Super Cup, Carrera Cup Deutschland, ADAC GT Masters, ALMS / LMS, VLN / BF Goodrich, FIA GT and Rallye Meistershaft race series. They also produce the current Cup S, Cup R and RSR exhausts for Weissach. They're now setup in the USA.

stephen wilson 05-21-2013 08:29 AM

Hmmm...I'm surprised they're that expensive. M&M probably has the Jig's, making it more of a production job. I guess the only hope would be to find a small shop or racer who would do it for a lesser fee. Have you tried posting a request on any racing oriented sites, SCCA, NASA, etc. ?

Johnny Danger 05-21-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen wilson (Post 343652)
Hmmm...I'm surprised they're that expensive. M&M probably has the Jig's, making it more of a production job. I guess the only hope would be to find a small shop or racer who would do it for a lesser fee. Have you tried posting a request on any racing oriented sites, SCCA, NASA, etc. ?

I've done more research than anything else. But, the only possibilities that I've been able to come up with are Lucas Fabrication, M&K Exhaust and Fabspeed. It seems like Fabspeed's pipe diameters won't work for me.

stephen wilson 05-21-2013 10:21 AM

After some quick Googling, how about Lou's custom exhaust?
Lou's Custom Exhaust - Waltham, MA

Johnny Danger 05-21-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen wilson (Post 343667)
After some quick Googling, how about Lou's custom exhaust?
Lou's Custom Exhaust - Waltham, MA

Nice people, but they mostly specialized in hot rods and muscle cars. Also, they mainly use off the shelf products like Dynomax and Magnaflow. Not that there's anything wrong with those brands. However, the average weight of a small race muffler or resonator from them weighs between 7 lbs. - 8 lbs. That's extremely heavy in comparison to what's being used in the catback systems that I've mentioned. Also, there's a company in NJ that manufactures some beautiful exhaust components by the name of East Exhaust. Still, someone has to be able to design and fabricate an exhaust in accordance with the requirements of a 986 boxster.