Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #1

Right headlight went out

After much troubleshooting, I've determined that it's not the light housing.. Driving lights, DRLs, high beam, and signal all do not work. I've even replaced the whole housing with my old unit just to see if the unit was broken, and it wasn't. I've also noticed that my right signal (indicator on instrument cluster and rear tail light) has upped the frequency and ticks much faster.

Please advise. Fuse?

Last edited by Crono0001; 05-10-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
Homeboy981

Garage
I get the same thing. Mine is self-inflicted tho due to removing the headlight too many times. I bent the piece the headlight Assy clicks into. You might want to start there by making sure it is connecting "All the way in". My bane was, it would go most of the way in. Then, when my lights would not come on or I heard a "quick blink", I would have to push on the headlight to insert it better to get it to work. Silly connector!

Last edited by Homeboy981; 05-11-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Homeboy981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #3

Before re-seating the headlight assemble into the wiring socket on the tray tower, I'd suggest doing several things. First, inspect the socket to see if the clip holding it to the tower is in good shape. If it's broken or cracked, the socket may move too much when re-seating and not allow for a good electrical contact. Second, try cleaning both the blades and the socket receptors with electrical contact spray to make sure everything is clean. This may also provide a bit of lubricant when re-seating.

If you do these things and the lights still don't work, then its probably time to get out the voltmeter and make sure you have power to the socket. Here's a link to pin diagram for the socket. FYI: headlight connector pinout.

If you have power and your confident the headlamp assembly is working, then its back to finding a good electrical connection. You might have to take off the fender liner and push the socket onto the headlamp plug to get things firmly seated.

Good luck
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #4

Garage
Exact same thing happened to me. It's almost certainly a broken tray tower wiring socket. The only way I could fix my problem was to remove the wheel well liner and push the connector into the headlight assembly from behind.
desert_porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_porsche View Post
Exact same thing happened to me. It's almost certainly a broken tray tower wiring socket. The only way I could fix my problem was to remove the wheel well liner and push the connector into the headlight assembly from behind.
Agreed. the best way to be sure is to jack the right side up and remove the wheel and fender liner. Then attack the issue from the back of the assembly with the headlight seated in place. Ensure that the mail connector is fully seated in the female receptacle. Dollars to donuts, this is a connection problem. If yuo can't get it to work that way then get out the multi-meter and start checking for continuity.

If you want to clean the socket, the go for it, but I seriously doubt that is in issue.

Also, make sure all of the "blades" on the connector itself are straight. It is possible to bend them if the light gets seated when the plug is not properly lined up (don't ask me how I know).

Last edited by shadrach74; 05-11-2013 at 02:24 PM.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #6

After more fiddling this morning, I've determined that the problem was the light not getting full electrical contact with the connector, just like you all suggested.

Many thanks to all of you :3 the problem is now fixed
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Homeboy981

Garage
…easiest repair I never had to make.

Wish repairs were all that quick and scar-free!