Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Tire Mileage and Sizing Question

Hi Everyone,

It looks like I need yet another set of rears (two actually), I consider it a cost of enjoying everyday driving. I am averaging about 50-60k on the front tires, and 25-30k on the rears.
How is everyone else faring?

Currently, I am running BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 in the summer, and Continental ContiWinterContacts in snow. Both sets of rears are almost bald. Continental has updated the model, and no longer makes 255/40-17, and BFGoodrich sells the same tires but has discontinued the 255/40-17. The closest match is a 255/35-17.

Should I try a different size or should I mix and match brands to get the right size? Obviously, this will not be an issue when I replace all four tires the next time around.

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #2

Rick3000,

Boy do I envy you!
I've got a 1999 Boxster with OEM 17inch wheels and factory sized tires.

I only get 30K to 32K miles on my front tires.
I usually get anywhere from 15k to 16k on my rear tires.

I usually purchase Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs. They are relatively inexpensive. And over the last four years TireRack has always carried them in stock.

In my opinion, just my opinion...In a perfect world you want the same brand/model tires on both the front and the rear. I don't think different tires on the front and back are that much of a bad thing (given that they aren't snow tires on the back and ultra performance tires on the front:-))

When I purchased my car in 2009 in had different brand tires on the front than on the back. When the rears wore down I replaced all four with the same brand tire.

Just my two cents

MNC-I

mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote