986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Will 18" wheels work on a 1997 Boxster? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/4536-will-18-wheels-work-1997-boxster.html)

hoser 12-16-2005 09:57 PM

Will 18" wheels work on a 1997 Boxster?

Just thought I'd specifically ask to make sure 18" rims will work on a 1997 Boxster. Anyone know FOR SURE if they will? I've heard they'll be fine if I don't plan on racing with them but are fine for daily driving. Thanks.
:confused:

Adam 12-16-2005 10:03 PM

Everything I have read points to no, but maybe it is possible with some modifications.

mjw930 12-17-2005 05:20 AM

They will work but with some caviots. From a size perspective you shouldn't have any problems. The issues surround the suspension. In '99 or '00 (not sure of the year) Porsche beefed up the suspension and started offering 18" wheels as an option. Many people have posted that the reason for the beefed up suspension was to handle the extra cornering forces the 18" wheel/tire combo can exert, that's rubbish. A good set of 17's can generate as much, if not more cornering force upon the suspension as the average 18" package. The real reason was weight, 18" wheels and tires simply weigh more than the same 17" combo. That extra weight is what causes stress on the suspension when combined with high corning forces.

If you go with a top quality lightweight 18" wheel you can run them on your older Boxster without concern. Just make sure you determine the weight of your existing 17" wheel/tire package and stay under that with the 18's and you should be fine.

RandallNeighbour 12-17-2005 10:24 AM

Excellence mag (Sept. 05) stated that in 98 the rear suspension was beefed up just a bit to allow for 18's.

Additional info can be found on the PCA Q and A area... there's a long article there saying not to do it because it can bend suspension parts if driven very, very hard, like pushing the car on a track. Near the end of the longish response, it says something to the effect of "if you don't plan on blowing over apexes and pushing the car to it's factory limits, 18's will be fine as long as they're not too heavy compared to the factor 17's on the car.

I'm planning on putting those Italian aftermarket 18 carrera lights on my 1997 because the aftermarket rims I have on now (ROH's) are guaranteed to be heavier, even though I have not weighed them and no damage has been done to my suspension.

I say proceed with caution.

hoser 12-17-2005 10:49 AM

Tirerack.com

I was looking over at tirerack and they sell 18" and even 19" rims for a 1997 Boxster. I have put in an email getting their opinions since they should be somewhat familiar with this issue (I hope they are, at least!).