986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   How to change remote key battery? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/4535-how-change-remote-key-battery.html)

hoser 12-16-2005 09:38 PM

How to change remote key battery?

Ok, no manual yet for my 1997 Boxster but one on the way. One of the remote keys is dead so I need to replace the battery. Is this a simple process and how is it done? What battery is needed (and does anyone have a photo)?

Is this something I should just let the dealership handle? How much do you think this will cost?
:confused:

olly986 12-17-2005 01:59 AM

cost is a couple of $ for battery; open the key gently with soft pressure on sides (use something sharp) remove the battery which is i guess the same in all keys CR2032 you'll see the battery comes on a loose component tray.
remove and replace the battery make sure rubber seal is in place properly on bottom keyring and reinstal the battery tray in the button side of keyring first(top part) snap down in lugs, then push in bottom part of keyring and hey presto! bob's your uncle and you can open your car again.
i hope i make sense this is the first time i try to explain something like this!

ps do not try to force the two parts together if you just drop the battery tray in bottom part of keyring i have done this before and wrecked the plastic lugs!

hoser 12-17-2005 07:52 AM

Reprogamming -- true or myth?

I read somewhere here that it's possible if you don't replace your battery soon enough after removing that the key may need to be reprogrammed. Any truth to that?

RandallNeighbour 12-17-2005 10:18 AM

A quick call to your service department will tell you the truth. Report back with their answer!

MNBoxster 12-17-2005 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoser
I read somewhere here that it's possible if you don't replace your battery soon enough after removing that the key may need to be reprogrammed. Any truth to that?

Hi,

You're correct. You have 10 sec. with which to remove and reinstall the Battery or the Key will lose it's programming. If so, you do need to have the dealer reprogram it. Since your Battery went dead, you most likely exceeded this 10 sec. threashold for the volatile memory in the Key Module. A Good Dealer should reprogram it for Free, especially if you have the car in for other service. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

olly986 12-18-2005 01:50 PM

the easy way to see if your battery is weak is when you press the boot button and nothing happen fast, i find this is the first sign for battery change.
strange but i had a key with no battery in for longer than 10 sec and when the battery was replaced it worked fine??
the other thing that our boxsters do is if you do not use your car for a few days the locking system goes into an energy saving mode and you will not be able to open you door with the remote but will have to use the actual key and turn the ignition quickly or the alarm will sound

Tool Pants 12-18-2005 05:24 PM

I have had the battery out of the remote a lot longer than 10 seconds and it did not lose the programming.

Z4oldie 01-17-2015 09:13 AM

Nice post

Hi all
First post on here in response to your helping me with my non functioning key fob

Removed and replaced dead battery and didnt need to re-program

2004 Boxster 2.7