Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #1

clutch installation

A mechanic installed a clutch in my car and in appro. 3000 mi 2 clutch cover bolts came loose (I know they were once tight because there's grooves from the metal compression under the heads and more) This caused an uneven surface for the release bearing to mate to and that caused the clips that hold the bearing to the arm, to snap off (more details on my other thread 'strange clutch behavior). He used no loc-tite and a Porsche-tech has since told me none is required and that the previous mechanic must not have torqued the bolts properly. Porsche calls for 17 lbs. but this is for use with their steel, dual mass- I'm using a single mass, aluminum flywheel. I'm inclined to use loc-tite out of fear even though the flywheel mfg doesn't suggest it -- I welcome your thoughts and opinions... ever had a clutch cover come undone???
Thanks

Last edited by woodsman; 05-06-2013 at 12:48 PM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #2

Based on your modds, looks like you have installed ASSCO flywheel.
a quick look at ASSCO's web site has an installation (be it generic) of the pressure plate to flywheel and call out of 20 ft-lbs with loc-tite. since the bolt is going into their flywheel, shouldn't the torque be set per their recommendation?
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
... ever had a clutch cover come undone???
No….and I do NOT want it to either!

I opted for a different approach…..Aasco LWFW, 20 Ft.Lbs without Loc-tite. Now I wish I had opted for the additional security of the mysterious blue fluid.

Were you racing it?

What did it do when it let go?

Thanks for the post!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #4

SB01 box-- Aasco's website calls for loc-tite on the crankbolts but not the clutchcover bolts which are what came undone on mine. I'm going to give the HOLES alittle dab--could it hurt?
It was interesting that Aasco's instructions stated to make sure none of the loc-tite on the crank bolts was pushed off the threads and under the flywheel mating surface--my 'Porsche trained 'mechanic didn't use loc-tite but the oil on the bolts (probably the oil used in their MFG) had been forced off them and covered approx. 80% of the flywheel-crank mating surfaces, although to no obvious effect. I found the same result on my 2-piece wheels which I'm refinishing--I don't know if any loc-tite actually existed on the threads after they were installed as it was all over the mating surfaces instead. Perhaps it's best to squeeze a drop INTO bolt holes instead of ONTO bolt threads.
HOMEBOY: See my thread on 'strange clutch behaviour' for more details...
Old 05-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #5

I'm assuming the clutch cover is the pressure plate. if so, under the clutch portion, it states "see bolt torque chart". The bolts being M8x16, the chart calls for 20ft-lbs.
hope your re-work results in trouble free drive-train.

Last edited by sb01box; 05-07-2013 at 04:52 PM.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #6

yes, I'll torque them to 20 lbs. If I have any more problems I'll install an OEM clutch- who has done more R&D for my car than PORSCHE ? Clutchmasters sold me a kit with 4 pieces mfg by 4 different company's and didn't understand why I wanted new bolts for reinstallation....