Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2005, 09:39 AM   #1

Ticks 'n pings 'n other things....

Still getting to know my 2000 Boxster (ok so I won't admit that I have had it in a 4 wheel drift on more than one occasion.... what a pants filling rush! - maybe this could be a new thread - "milliseconds from losing it all..." )

Anyway, just a few quick questions.

- When I turn the engine off, there is a considerable amount of "ticks and ping" noise from the engine as it cools. This is the first "performance" engine I have owned, so I drive it harder than I did my previous cars, but not what I would consider excessive - is this normal?

- Secondly, I don't have the option with rear speakers (storage apartment just big enough for sunglasses!) and desperately want to install them. I went to the local Porsche dealer, and they said the only option was to buy a complete rear console (about $600) that already include the speakers. I am sure there are some avid do-it-yourselfers who have drilled and cut into the existing console - I would be greatful to hear from anyone who has done this. Also, would be keen to hear from other speaker adventurers who didn't install in the console.

Boxster on !!

kiwiinneworleans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:43 AM   #2

There is an OEM Porsche kit to retrofit your storage compartments with the speakers. There are a few threads on here about. I did it a while ago and it wasnt too bad.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
bmussatti

[QUOTE=

Anyway, just a few quick questions.

- When I turn the engine off, there is a considerable amount of "ticks and ping" noise from the engine as it cools. This is the first "performance" engine I have owned, so I drive it harder than I did my previous cars, but not what I would consider excessive - is this normal?

The noises you are hearing, sound normal. Probably just the exhaust and the catalytic converters cooling-off. The metal expands (hot) and then contracts (when cooling). When this happens, you hear it in the form of ticks and pings.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:55 AM   #4

I bought a rear storage compartment off Ebay for $135 and very, very carefully removed the storage cubbies on the left and right side. Then I installed a speaker system sold on Ebay that fits the storage compartment. Total cost was $380.

Makes a massive difference in listening to the stereo with the top down.

I'm not sure if I understood your post right, but you should know that the carpeted area behind the seats is covering heat sheilds and the engine, so no cutting can be done back there for speaker installation.

There's lots of threads on this site as well as renntech about speaker systems, so do a thread search to find them.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote