986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Window Tint... yes or no? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/4394-window-tint-yes-no.html)

RandallNeighbour 12-01-2005 09:51 AM

Window Tint... yes or no?

I've got limo tint on my 3x black box. Makes it look great when the top is up and windows are closed, but it's a hazard at night. Can't see a stinking thing through them. They're also ugly to me when the top is down and the windows are partially up or all the way up to reduce interior wind.

Please take this poll so I can see what you guys think about side window tint on boxsters, and add a short reply to tell me why you like or don't like tint on our side windows.

Jeph 12-01-2005 10:01 AM

I think tint looks funny when the top is up. Complete the job by tinting the windscreen. I hear regular tint doesn't stick, so how about this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/GRAY-Transparent-Vinyl-with-adhesive-24-inch-x-10-ft_W0QQitemZ8220893285QQcategoryZ3099QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm one step up from a limo tint, which looks great with the hardtop, IMO.

bmussatti 12-01-2005 10:24 AM

I agree, the tinit looks funny with the top down and windows up or partially up.

I think the solution is a good pair of sunglasses and when you park the car, to avoid all of the heat build-up, use a window shade or top cover.

spgribben007 12-01-2005 11:11 AM

I have the optional hard top and I think a "mid-tone" tint looks pretty awesome. Even with the soft top it still adds something to the car. Pretty of compliments. When the top is down the sides are down too. Just wear a heavier jacket.

blinkwatt 12-01-2005 12:00 PM

I think alot more would give there opinoins if someone could photoshop a image perhaps.

Perfectlap 12-01-2005 12:14 PM

it was the first thing I did. I did a very light tint 30% I think they called it.
I also tinted the windscreen in a 'night vision' color like amber or yellow.
That windscreent tint lasted about two weeks, one day while driving on the highway (purty fast) I heard a ruffling sound and zip it was blown right off.
I panicked thinking it migh land on the windshield of the poor guy behind me.

Tinting is a must have in a Porsche. Around these neck of the woods I rarely see one without it. Mostly to circumvent the gawker factor. Seems like every other red light I have some one staring at me and the car. During summer top down months every third light I get the trash talknig import driver or asking me how fast I've taken the car.

Teal_BoxsterS 12-01-2005 02:43 PM

looks good...

Have to say it was the first thing I did when I got the car, I think it looks great, and it certainly helps protect the interior from the sun, without having to always put up window shades...

Jeph 12-01-2005 02:46 PM

Tint Before & After

Here's my car with before and after tint.

Perfectlap 12-01-2005 04:13 PM

that after pic reminds me that I need to find me a hartop!

slogans7 12-05-2005 05:06 AM

I don't like tinted windows. When I come to a stop sign at the same time as a car with tinted windows, I can't tell if the other driver sees me. Same with other potentiall dangerous circumstances. I'd agree with buying sunglasses.

mjw930 12-05-2005 05:58 AM

Here in Florida it's almost a requirement if the car is going to spend any significant time outside. With the glass rear I'm lucky but I haven't done it yet (not a big deal in the winter months).

All of my cars have tint but I use a 35% grey tint that presents no problems at night. The amount of visible light the tint allows to pass is irrelevant. What's important is to filter the UV. All of the top line tint materials filter 99% of the UV so there's no need to do a "limo" tint.

bigislandboxster 12-05-2005 07:17 AM

I recently spent the better part of a year with the Box in Hawaii.....Used the window shades when necessary, and parked in the garage when home in the daytime.....No tinting on the car, and no real problems.....

The grey tint wouldn't work on a red car, wouldn't be very attractive in my opinion.....Boxsters can be a bit difficult at times to see out of, so I would say no to the tinting. I do like the way it looks tho, just doesn't seem necessary.....