Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #1

Still blowing smoke out exhaust after AOS replacement

I replaced AOS in my 2000 Boxster S and it ran fine for about 100 miles, then all of a sudden anything over 6,000 RPM and huge plumes of white smoke out the exhaust again. Please help!

kichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #2

Garage
is it white smoke or blue smoke (sometimes hard to tell unless you're standing in it or smelling it) you may have a crap load of oil left in the intake which is getting sucked up under high RPM's, or you have a failed extractor pump in one of your heads causing the oil to get sucked up into the vents to the AOS (once it fills to max it will blow by and go back into the intake) or your oil level in the car is too high (but you probably already checked that). I had the same thing last fall and my extractor pump on cyl bank 1-3 failed.
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #3

It is white smoke. How do i check if an extractor pump is bad?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #4

Garage
If it's white smoke it sounds like water.... but sometimes easily mistaken...
My theory on the pumps is (and i'm sure others will other views), but the left side pump sits in the front of the head with its vent line to the AOS also near the front of the head at the top; the right side head vent and pump are directly at the read of the head below the AOS... so when you accelerate and or make a left turn at the same time the oils gravitational forces push it directly into the right rear vent area (causing more oil to accumulate right below the AOS)...
So if one of the pumps isn't performing correctly its likely to be the right side (cyl 1-2-3) as oil accumulating under the left side vent is less likely during acceleration.
The pumps are the same, and they are easy to swap... *you just have to make sure the label on the pump 1-2-3 is facing the block on the right side and 4-5-6 on the pump is facing the inside on the left block. I've seen these get installed backwards which causes them not to function... you can try swapping the two pumps to see if the problem goes away....
Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #5

I think I will just replace both of them. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #6

Garage
You might want to just swap them if that's what it is - Those two pumps are NOT cheap!!!
If anyone worked on your car and touched those pumps recently you might just want to verify orientation... I've seen these things
get installed backwards by people that have no idea and assume they only fit one way.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #7

Garage
Do you have any images of the pumps? I have blown a couple of AOS and anything that could be checked will help.
Cheers
Old 03-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #8

Garage
I've been trying to upload some picture but it isn't working let me try something else

ok edit - try this
I found this picture on google images
http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o735/2000boxsterman/scavengerpump_zps28aa3ffd.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t23/insite_01/_MG_7831.jpg

Notice the 1-2-3 on one side and 4-5-6 on the other side... you have to make sure you install the pump in such
a way that the corresponding cylinder bank numbers face the block... so 1-2-3 passenger side inwards, and
4-5-6 driver side inwards. (numbers in not the arrows - for one bank the arrows point up and the other the arrows
point down, a lot of people think the arrows have to face inward but its the numbers that have to be inwards)

and I took this screen shot of the part#'s as they appear in PET
http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o735/2000boxsterman/pump_zpsf95b6b90.jpg

Last edited by Heiko; 03-22-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #9

Garage
Thanks, I think I will remove and inspect mine this weekend. Makes sense while I am in there changing the oil.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kichi View Post
It is white smoke. How do i check if an extractor pump is bad?
Oil pumps are very simple "machines" & somewhat foolproof since they are normally very well lubricated. They don't "go bad" unless something other than good oil enters them. Now if someone R&Rs a scavenge pump incorrectly that's not good.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #11

Does the smoke coming from your exhaust have a "sweet" smell to it? My '03 had split a cylinder wall and smoked like a freight train! This happed around 55K miles, so far the replacement engine (29K) is holding up.

Autobahn Pete is offline   Reply With Quote