986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Should have taken it to the dealer! (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/43109-should-have-taken-dealer.html)

1olddude 02-09-2013 08:42 PM

Should have taken it to the dealer!

My tranny mount went bad on the right side. I looked at the info on Pelican and thought it was something I could handle. Got the old one off with a lot of cussing and stress. Not as easy as it was made out to be. There is so much in the way with mufflers and such, it is just a b...ch to get out of there. Now I have to try and put the new one on but I am not having a lot of positive thoughts as to how I am going to get it in the right position and then to get that top bolt back in will be a miracle. The left one is a piece of cake but anyone that replaced the right one, or says they did, must be a magician or not being truthful. Don't know what I will do if I can't get it back together. I seriously feel defeated but I will keep trying. Hope I don't completely mess up something in the process. :ah:

Eric G 02-10-2013 01:30 AM

Patience and persistence. In the worst case scenario you take a few more parts off and you get her back in. Remember, you were able to get it out so it will go back in!

Best of luck.

grubinski 02-10-2013 07:10 AM

When I did the passenger side inboard CV on mine, I dropped the exhaust on that side (the exhaust manifold and secondary cat / midpipe). It was pretty simple and quick to do.

If it was me, and the exhaust was making my life difficult, I'd just remove it.

shadrach74 02-10-2013 08:24 AM

Agreed, one of the biggest mistakes someone who's new to wrenching can make is trying to work around another component that's impeding progress because the idea of removing said component seems daunting. If the exhaust is making your life difficult, than remove it... Removing one mid-pipe should take less than 15min if the car is already jacked up. IIRC, there are a total of 5 nuts/bolts to loosen. 3 at the parting flange and 2 clamps.

Take a deep breath, relax and reassess. This is not a big job and is easily within your capability, given that you've gotten this far. I'm betting the dealer would have charged well north of $1000 dollars P&L for this. If you're time is worth $100 an hour, anything under 7.5hrs plus parts makes it worth you while, especially considering that you're learning something in the process...

1olddude 02-10-2013 10:27 AM

Thanks for all the support. I keep telling myself this is fun, and don't get me wrong, it is fun but can get frustrating. I have done plenty of wrenching but just unfamiliar with the German engineering so the unknown Canberra a bit intimidating but I won't give up. A deep breath and a different perspective helps. I will remove the exaust and go from there. It just seems they could have accomplished the same thing in a more sensible way. Anyway, thanks again and I will let you know when I succeed. Just waiting for the new mount.

Gilles 02-10-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1olddude (Post 326927)
The left one is a piece of cake but anyone that replaced the right one, or says they did, must be a magician or not being truthful.

1Olddude,

First of all, I have Not replaced the transmission mounts on my CS yet...

However, I had replace many tranny and engine mounts on other cars, and sometimes what had worked for me is to remove again the mount that you say it was the easiest one to install and first tackle the most difficult one, because it will allow you to 'jiggle' the transmission just enough to align the all holes for the bolts, once you managed to start the bolts on the difficult side (leaving the bolts loose) you will move tho the other side and once you have all the bolts installed THEN you can tighten them down.

Definitely, if something gets on the way (like the exhaust), remove it to have more room to work, it is time well invested as others are suggesting.

You will fix it properly ;) just take a deep breath and be patient.

Good luck!

Mark_T 02-10-2013 01:20 PM

"It just seems they could have accomplished the same thing in a more sensible way. "

German (or at least Porsche) engineering, summed up in one sentence. Coolant tank, IMS, AOS, clutch line routing, fuel filter location.... the list goes on.