986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Clutch "feel" issue after bleeding (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/43098-clutch-feel-issue-after-bleeding.html)

BoxsterSteve 02-09-2013 07:23 AM

Clutch "feel" issue after bleeding

As the title suggests, my clutch pedal doesn't feel right after bleeding.
I flushed the brakes and figured I would run out all of the gold fluid in the car, so it has only Super Blue in the lines.
It feels normal through most of the pedal take-up, but about 2/3 of the way up, it's like the pedal binds and then pops at the top of the travel, like there is a spring uncoiling against my foot.
There was no previous trouble with clutch actuation before (of course!), so I mustn't have bled properly.
I followed a DIY posted here, I thought, to the letter, but apparently something's not right.
Is it likely that air got into the bleeder when it was open?
Do I just try to gravity bleed again, or do I have to get off my wallet and buy a Motive bleeder to force any trapped air out of the system?

And to top it off, I found a torn outer left CV boot while I was poking around.
Crap.
One more thing to fix.

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

JFP in PA 02-09-2013 08:09 AM

Did you bleed it with the clutch pedal held to the floor?

BoxsterSteve 02-09-2013 08:14 AM

Affirmative. Used a golf putter to hold the pedal down.
I followed the DIY to the letter, but it feels wonky now.
Just to clarify, I gravity bled, and did not use a power bleeder.
And, JFP, I used your suggested positioning to reach the bleeder. I actually got my Popeye forearm in there with no problem! Helps that I'm a southpaw. :D

JFP in PA 02-09-2013 09:15 AM

Don't ever "gravity bleed", you will typically end up with air in the system, use the Motive unit or have someone pump the pedal.

BoxsterSteve 02-09-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 326865)
Don't ever "gravity bleed", you will typically end up with air in the system, use the Motive unit or have someone pump the pedal.

JFP,

Pump the pedal and hold, as in bleeding brakes?
Please feel free to elaborate... either that or I'm off to the closest Motive dealer almost 1.5 hours away. I can't believe I've got to go that far.

And thanks for your help on this one!

Mark_T 02-09-2013 11:25 AM

Hey Steve. I bought the Motive Black Label European Power Bleeder a couple of years ago, and I truly believe it paid for itself the first time I used it. Considering that you will use it at least once every two years, it is well worth the money and you will not regret getting it. You will regret not getting it sooner!

Besides, isn't 1.5 hours about 1/2 the average daily commute in your part of the country?

BoxsterSteve 02-09-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 326884)
Hey Steve. I bought the Motive Black Label European Power Bleeder a couple of years ago, and I truly believe it paid for itself the first time I used it. Considering that you will use it at least once every two years, it is well worth the money and you will not regret getting it. You will regret not getting it sooner!

Besides, isn't 1.5 hours about 1/2 the average daily commute in your part of the country?

Not this fella. Luckily I'm 10 minutes away from work, if I run a couple of lights...

And Mark, thanks for the plug on the bleeder. I'll get off my wallet and buy one.

JFP in PA 02-09-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve (Post 326881)
JFP,

Pump the pedal and hold, as in bleeding brakes?
Please feel free to elaborate... either that or I'm off to the closest Motive dealer almost 1.5 hours away. I can't believe I've got to go that far.

And thanks for your help on this one!

Yes.

And you can get the Motive unit online, it is a very worth while purchase as it can be used on any vehicle..............

BoxsterSteve 02-13-2013 04:43 PM

Got 'er done...

So I ordered a Black Label 0109 Motive bleeder ~4:00 yesterday afternoon from the Canadian distributor in Markham.
Damn if it wasn't at my place when I got home today at 3:30!
I re-bled all the calipers for good measure and did the clutch again.
Problem solved. Clutch behaves beautifully once more.
Thanks to everyone who helped on this one. It's that kind of support that makes this forum such a great place to hang out.
I may just have to DIY my CV joint boots after all... :D