986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   What is it? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/43061-what.html)

1olddude 02-06-2013 03:19 PM

What is it?

I just got back from a spirited drive. I pulled in the garage and after I got out I saw a small puddle of light yellow, oily fluid, that dripped down on the garage floor from somewhere around the right rear wheel. It was cool to the touch, light yellowish in color, no smell, and slightly oily. Maybe a 1/4 cup total. It was thin enough that it ran down the slight slope of the garage. Any ideas what I should look for? It runs perfectly, idles fine, oil level checks out fine and no strange noises. What do the experts have to say?

Bfan 02-06-2013 03:48 PM

I would not call myself an expert but I would think its coolant and that your coolant tank cap has given in. They sometimes do and the fix is to fill up the missing coolant and a get a new cap. I believe Porsche updated the cap in 2004.

Meir 02-06-2013 03:59 PM

Yellow/orange cold fluid, sounds like transmission mount to me.
The transmission mounts are hydrolic and will leak fluid whe they fail.

1olddude 02-06-2013 04:00 PM

Isn't the coolant reservoir in the front? This is coming from above the rear right wheel. I will check it out a bit closer. Thanks for the reply.

1olddude 02-06-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 326498)
Yellow/orange cold fluid, sounds like transmission mount to me.
The transmission mounts are hydrolic and will leak fluid whe they fail.

Is that an easy fix for a moderately experienced mechanical fellow as myself? Or is it headed to the stealer as I have no indies around here that I know of.

Meir 02-06-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1olddude (Post 326501)
Is that an easy fix for a moderately experienced mechanical fellow as myself? Or is it headed to the stealer as I have no indies around here that I know of.

Yes it is.
First you need to visually check and confirm the mount is leaking.
Im on the road and posting this from my phone, but I'm sure someone here can post a pic. The mount it self looks like an iron ball that seats on a triangular bracket.
The bracket is connected to the trnsmission with two screws, and another two screws connect the "ball" to the body of the car.
Yo just need to support the transmission, remove the 4 screws and replace the mount.
There are two mounts. One on each side of the transmission.

1olddude 02-06-2013 06:00 PM

Checked again and I am sure you are right. I thought it was hydraulic fluid but couldn't figure out what would have that. I looked at my Bentley book and see where it is. Should I replace both or just the failed one? Thanks so much for the help. This forum is the bomb!

thstone 02-06-2013 07:16 PM

If you're going to replace one, might as well do both.

Here is a DIY: Pelican Technical Article: Replacing Boxster Transmission Mounts - 986 / 987

1olddude 02-06-2013 08:16 PM

Thstone: thanks! I found that link when I went to order parts from Pelican. I ordered two and will get to work when the parts arrive. While I got her up in the air I will do an oil change to get ready for the springtime driving season. I may replace engine mounts as well. The car is a 2002 with just 13,000 miles but I have found those parts seem to wear out with time more so than miles. Thanks again all for the help and info. The wrenching will be good therapy for the winter blues.

Meir 02-07-2013 08:34 AM

If you ordered the "balls" only, make sure to secure the center stud when tightening the nut. If the stud will rotate, you can damage the new part.
If you got the whole assembly, no problem.

ProjectM96 02-07-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1olddude (Post 326486)
I just got back from a spirited drive. I pulled in the garage and after I got out I saw a small puddle of light yellow, oily fluid, that dripped down on the garage floor from somewhere around the right rear wheel. It was cool to the touch, light yellowish in color, no smell, and slightly oily. Maybe a 1/4 cup total. It was thin enough that it ran down the slight slope of the garage. Any ideas what I should look for? It runs perfectly, idles fine, oil level checks out fine and no strange noises. What do the experts have to say?

Maybe water mixed with leaves was dripping down from the drain hole for the convertible top.

That liquid is somewhat oily and yellowish from the leaves and sticks.

Meir 02-07-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProjectM96 (Post 326645)
Maybe water mixed with leaves was dripping down from the drain hole for the convertible top.

That liquid is somewhat oily and yellowish from the leaves and sticks.

Once my dog peed next to my car.
I figured it out only after tasting it :eek:
Just kidding :D

1olddude 02-07-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 326608)
If you ordered the "balls" only, make sure to secure the center stud when tightening the nut. If the stud will rotate, you can damage the new part.
If you got the whole assembly, no problem.

Thanks Meir. I ordered the balls only so I will follow your advice. I was shocked at the difference in price from the balls to the whole assembly. I will just reuse the triangular bracket and save some bank. My parts should be here Monday so I will get it done then. Wish me luck and thanks again.

Meir 02-07-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1olddude (Post 326659)
Thanks Meir. I ordered the balls only so I will follow your advice. I was shocked at the difference in price from the balls to the whole assembly. I will just reuse the triangular bracket and save some bank. My parts should be here Monday so I will get it done then. Wish me luck and thanks again.

Good luck dude.
I'm sure you gonna find it not that hard.