Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #1

Becker CDR23 - ipod connection

Hi all, I have read numerous reviews and forums re. the Becker CDR23 - ipod connection and I just wish to clarify 100% before I purchase anything.

I believe this unit lacks an Aux socket on the rear so you have to hard wire the FM transmitter style connector via the ariel connection, correct?

I also understand that changing the head unit is difficult due to some fibre communication jiggery that works with other parts of the car, correct or rubbish?

In a nutshell, I just wish to hook up my iphone 4S and play tunes, can anyone offer some sound advice.

Many thanks!

R33P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #2

Garage
Jamba Cruiser2

My advice is to buy the Jabra Cruiser 2 bluetooth kit. It hooks onto your visor for handsfree (bluetooth) communcation, and has an FM transmitter that will play your music through the stereo. When a call comes in the music stops, and the number even shows on the radio if you have RMS turned on.

I have it and it works perfectly, even in areas with a lot of radio signals. The calls are clear (and legal in states that require hands free!), SIRI works with it, all is well!!!!!

Best of all, it is relatively cheap. I paid $70.00.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19

Last edited by Coffinhunter; 02-05-2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Not Jamba, Jabra....ooops!
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #3

I never thought about doing it that way, how good is the sound through the stereo?

I have had a Bluetooth handsfree unit before and it was pretty ****************e if I'm honest.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #4

Garage
I have the same head unit with the BOSE system, no other upgrades, the Jabra "Cruiser 2" unit, and an iPhone5. The audio (MP3, Pandora, video etc.) is very good. The volume is a little lower than a regular CD, or FM so you do have to be aware when turning off the Bluetooth, but it is not dramatic. The telephone sounds a little strange coming out of the car stereo speakers, but not because it is bad, just different/odd having the caller in stereo. I do find that I sometimes will have to turn the stereo up when talking on the phone, but again it isn't dramatic.

I am sure the sound is not as good as a it would be if there was a direct input, but I am not sure how much of a difference I would possibly notice since the topis down almost all the time, and I can't really tell the difference between it and playing a CD with the top up.

Of course my wife will tell you I can't hear anything anyway!!!

Last edited by Coffinhunter; 02-05-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #5

I can buy this in the UK for £42 so at that price it's well worth a try. Thanks very much for your help & advice.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #6

Garage
Make that Jabra....

Make sure you get the Cruiser 2......They make one that does not have the FM transmitter too!

Old 05-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #7

Just purchased the Jabra cruiser 2. Works exactly as described. Sound quality is as good as a cd in my opinion.

Last edited by Rickinduncan; 05-02-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Rickinduncan is offline   Reply With Quote