986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Sprint Booster? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/43038-sprint-booster.html)

Allen K. Littlefield 02-05-2013 06:33 AM

Sprint Booster?

In the Jan. '13 issue of "911 & Porsche World", a magazine from the UK, there is an article on a nicely turned out Cayman. One of the mods is a device called the 'Sprint Booster' which mounts under your gas pedal and works by cancelling out the delay inherent with the fly-by-wire accelerators. Has three settings. Supposed to give instantaneous response. Works with both TIP and manual trannies. I don't know if it would be beneficial to a TIP Tranny as there are already 5 'maps' that adapt to your driving style.

My question is has anyone installed and enjoyed this mod? It runs around $300 and you install it yourself. Any feedback welcome.

AKL

JFP in PA 02-05-2013 09:51 AM

Waste of money. First of all, the "inherent delay" in electronic throttles is nonsense, the electonic signals are already moving at the speed of light, and the servo motors that control thottle position can only be made to move more quickly by boosting the voltage to them, which ages them more quickly; the the throttle body is not cheap.

Take the $300 and put it towards some DE seat time; learning how to dirve your car will make you faster than this do-dad............

steved0x 02-05-2013 01:19 PM

Sprint Booster Installation

Wayne talks about this in the 101 Projects book. Basically it shortens the throw of the pedal so you get to wide open throttle with a shorter depression of the accelerator pedal. So instead of pushing it all the way to the floor to go to WOT you only push it a little bit.

To me it seems like it would be twitchy, but I guess you could get to WOT faster if you only had to push the pedal a little bit instead of all the way down, which would take longer.

Steve

JFP in PA 02-05-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 326316)
Sprint Booster Installation

Wayne talks about this in the 101 Projects book. Basically it shortens the throw of the pedal so you get to wide open throttle with a shorter depression of the accelerator pedal. So instead of pushing it all the way to the floor to go to WOT you only push it a little bit.

To me it seems like it would be twitchy, but I guess you could get to WOT faster if you only had to push the pedal a little bit instead of all the way down, which would take longer.

Steve

I'm sorry, but if your leading performance issue is your inability to get the pedal to the floor fast enough, the problem lies elsewhere....................:rolleyes:

Allen K. Littlefield 02-05-2013 02:37 PM

Thank you JFP for your no nonsense response. I have had many DE events and know my late apexs from my late braking so I have been there, done that. Nothing could be better for your driving than taking up DE events and learning what the car is all about. That said I only wanted to know what, if any, advantages would come from this mod. Also my TIP has its own 5 maps that determine your driving style and adapt accordingly. I am surprised the praise for this mod in the magazine.

AKL

Johnny Danger 02-05-2013 03:50 PM

The only way to effectively make your boxster faster, is to possess one of the very rare and exclusive Johnny Danger Keychains ! Remember they're imbued with special powers !

Allen K. Littlefield 02-06-2013 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 326334)
The only way to effectively make your boxster faster, is to possess one of the very rare and exclusive Johnny Danger Keychains ! Remember they're imbued with special powers !

When your "keychain" is reviewed for its effectiveness in PANO, EXCELLENCE or on the various sites, I will then consider the exorbitant cost as I am sure this 'magic chain' does not come cheap!!!! By the way, who IS that man with the monkey???

AKL:rolleyes:

Bmod986 02-06-2013 12:46 PM

Allen I had asked in a previous post about this and did a lot of research. I wanted to make the pedal ratio 1 to 1. For JFP what this booster does is eliminate the uneven ratio. So when the pedal is 20% down your only geting a 13% opening in the throttle as an example. Im not 100% sure what the ratio is but it is definitely not 1 to 1 for safety reasons. But this is a bit annoying when your going from a stop on a hill. I wanted to know if there was a remap to make this 1 to 1 permanent.

I have a couple of friends who used cobbs tunners to remap their Japanese cars. I wanted to know if there was a product like cobbs but for my box. So far all the options are expensive.

In short the booster makes the pedal 1 to 1 ratio which makes the car "feel faster" and allows for a more precise engament with the car.

Johnny Danger 02-06-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield (Post 326393)
When your "keychain" is reviewed for its effectiveness in PANO, EXCELLENCE or on the various sites, I will then consider the exorbitant cost as I am sure this 'magic chain' does not come cheap!!!! By the way, who IS that man with the monkey???

AKL:rolleyes:

I've had JD Keychain reserved for you all this time. Just say the word and it's yours !

Steve Tinker 02-06-2013 01:02 PM

Be carefull AKL - you must have heard the old saying to beware of Greeks bearing gifts....
If JD is offering a keychain for free, there's a catch !!

Allen K. Littlefield 02-06-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmod986 (Post 326463)
Allen I had asked in a previous post about this and did a lot of research. I wanted to make the pedal ratio 1 to 1. For JFP what this booster does is eliminate the uneven ratio. So when the pedal is 20% down your only geting a 13% opening in the throttle as an example. Im not 100% sure what the ratio is but it is definitely not 1 to 1 for safety reasons. But this is a bit annoying when your going from a stop on a hill. I wanted to know if there was a remap to make this 1 to 1 permanent.

I have a couple of friends who used cobbs tunners to remap their Japanese cars. I wanted to know if there was a product like cobbs but for my box. So far all the options are expensive.

In short the booster makes the pedal 1 to 1 ratio which makes the car "feel faster" and allows for a more precise engament with the car.

Bmod, do I understand correctly that you have installed one of these devices and are happy with it? Since my Boxcar is a TIP I think I have enough 'maps' that adjust to my driving style which may make this device redundant or irrelevant. It would be good to hear from a TIP owner with one of these. Thanks for your feedback.

AKL

Allen K. Littlefield 02-06-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Tinker (Post 326467)
Be carefull AKL - you must have heard the old saying to beware of Greeks bearing gifts....
If JD is offering a keychain for free, there's a catch !!

Didn't know J.D. was Greek. That may account for the leather tights etc. of his costume. The Mediterranean Yellow may also be symptomatic. I will bet there are yellow strings attached to his "gift". I am now entering the witness protection program so you may here from me with an assumed name and different avatar.

LKA

Johnny Danger 02-06-2013 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield (Post 326490)
Didn't know J.D. was Greek. That may account for the leather tights etc. of his costume. The Mediterranean Yellow may also be symptomatic. I will bet there are yellow strings attached to his "gift". I am now entering the witness protection program so you may here from me with an assumed name and different avatar.

LKA

Don't make me mad !Otherwise "Barry", "Moochelle" and "Crazy Joe" will give me the go ahead to initiate a drone strike on New Paltz, !

mikefocke 02-06-2013 04:04 PM

On a big hill, I'd shift shift down to 1st gear and use the handbrake. I know you know that style as you aren't new to the TIP. It is a lot gentler than trying to hill hold with the transmission and cheaper too. TIP rebuilds aren't cheap.

I now drive a car that has a selectable mode that slows down pedal response and it is good for about a 7% mileage boost. If I really need to go in a hurry, my foot is trained to turn to lead. But in normal driving, I don't want to be adding gas, speeding up, having to back off and slow down, etc. I could drive the guy in back of me to road rage. I want my car to be smart enough to know that a twitch of my foot is just a twitch and ignore it until I press for real. YMMV

Jaak 02-07-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield (Post 326489)
Bmod, do I understand correctly that you have installed one of these devices and are happy with it? Since my Boxcar is a TIP I think I have enough 'maps' that adjust to my driving style which may make this device redundant or irrelevant. It would be good to hear from a TIP owner with one of these. Thanks for your feedback.

AKL

Had one on mine for about a year now and am satisfied with it. There is a noticable difference in all 3 modes in regards to the throttle response/lag. I leave mine in "sport" mod as it does speed up the time it takes on the response issue. It does not make the car go faster, but it does make the throttle engage noticably quicker. A few wrenches did state that they noticed a difference inthe throttle response and they were happy with it. I find it fun to drive with it ... and would buy it again. I don't track it as I cannot afford to replace the car if I crash it.

Just don't install it when the outside temperature and humidity is high ... it gets damn hot under the dash:D:D:D:p. Stow the roof as well ... makes getting at it easier.

manolo 02-08-2013 10:11 AM

I can't speak for the sprintbooster, but I data logged the throttle lag in duramteric before doing the softronic flash on my 2002 986S. When modulating the throttle, there is a clear restriction between pedal value and throttle blade opening. You'll notice the only time the throttle is 1:1 is when you go wide open, or fully closed. In which case, its virtually instant. When at partial throttle, the ECU doesnt open the throttle as much as you press your foot down (about 20% reduction).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mhauswirth78/8456808828/

manolo 02-08-2013 10:12 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mhauswirth78/8456808828/

manolo 02-08-2013 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, image isnt working properly.

manolo 02-08-2013 10:17 AM

This car didnt have PSM, I imagine this is to prevent someone from getting frisky during cornering and spinning the car. Biggest discrepancies are at lower to mid throttle openings, by 90% it starts to get closer to 1:1.