986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Vinyl to Glass replacement or new top in Maryland (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/42967-vinyl-glass-replacement-new-top-maryland.html)

Stephan Silverman 01-29-2013 05:31 PM

Vinyl to Glass replacement or new top in Maryland

My top is about 3/4 good but the vinyl window has cracks. Anyone in Maryland, DC, Northern Virginia who does a glass replacement or can do the whole top with glass reasonably priced?

Kenny Boxster 01-29-2013 06:38 PM

I think it would be more feasible to replace the whole top with vinyl with a glass top, rather than sewing/gluing one in. They can be had for around $400-$500 on Ebay, but with labor it should come out to $800-1100. I live in Texas, but generally you may ask the Porsche dealers in Virginia who they outsource their convertible top fittings to.

stateofidleness 01-29-2013 07:12 PM

I bought an ebay glass top for $549 shipped (REALLY good quality one too), and was charged just under $800 for installation. Roughly $1300 installed and it looks great. Even got compliments on the quality of the top from the upholsterer who just so happens to install GAHH tops for Boxsters. (nothing against GAHH, just stating real world feedback from a professional). Glass was definitely the way to go. Defrost is amazing and I don't stress about coming out to it and seeing it slashed or something.

Skrapmot 01-29-2013 07:19 PM

I'm so amazed by the cheap labor in other states, I may just have to move before I'm bankrupt.
I've been spending the last month getting quotes for a new window vs a new GAHH glass top. I can't find any place cheaper than 1100 to put in a new window and the cost for a new top with install is 1600.

black_box 01-29-2013 07:49 PM

I have a 2000 S with a replacement top (glass window) and I have to say it does make it a real pain to get into service position, as the mechanism was designed for a folding window.

thstone 01-29-2013 08:19 PM

New glass window top $450 + professional installation $350 = $800. Don't be in a hurry and shop around until you find a shop that will do the work right for a price you like.

mikefocke 01-30-2013 05:07 AM

Bells
Shady Grove MD
Bell's Trim and Design

Lim's
Tyson's Corner, VA and Chantilly, VA
Home Page

Recommended as a place that can do plastic rear window replacements, top and seat upholstery. Recommended by IMA.

Bay Country Custom Van & Upholstery
1828 George Ave, Annapolis, MD 21401

Installed a glass window top on an earlier 986 and the owner was pleased per a March 2011 posting.

CA_Boxster 01-30-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrapmot (Post 325593)
I'm so amazed by the cheap labor in other states, I may just have to move before I'm bankrupt.
I've been spending the last month getting quotes for a new window vs a new GAHH glass top. I can't find any place cheaper than 1100 to put in a new window and the cost for a new top with install is 1600.

Try Premier Upholstery in Santa Clara. I had the top replaced there a long time ago on a previous Boxster when the GAHH glass replacement tops were just coming to market. They do good work. They won't be the cheapest price you'll find but they'll be a good starting point. $1600 sounds like it's a little high at this point but that's just a gut feel. It's been a long time since I did this.

papasmurf 01-30-2013 10:24 AM

Or save the install money and install the top yourself...

it is not easy but it can be done and there are plenty of tutorials on the internet for how to do it assuming you read them carefully and take your time.

doragman 01-30-2013 01:33 PM

just got a quote on a black GAHH glass top from the place in town everyone recommends ......and it was $1616 with tax

Skrapmot 01-30-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA_Boxster (Post 325642)
Try Premier Upholstery in Santa Clara. I had the top replaced there a long time ago on a previous Boxster when the GAHH glass replacement tops were just coming to market. They do good work. They won't be the cheapest price you'll find but they'll be a good starting point. $1600 sounds like it's a little high at this point but that's just a gut feel. It's been a long time since I did this.

Those guys are great, they did some awesome rear seat repair for my 911 when I lived in Palo Alto. I emailed them a few months ago as they were my first choice, and they wanted $1600 for the glass top replacement, which seems to be the standard in this area (800 bucks labor plus whatever cost for the top?). Since they didn't appear any more competitive in price I figured it wasn't worth the hassle to drive an 1 1/2 hours one way for a new top.
I guess I could save $150-200 on an eBay top, but that seems a little risky? Plus, I doubt there would be much warranty on such a top.
Last cheapo top I purchased for my wife's Miata fell short of expectations. I've located a 2003 top but the going price for those for sale within driving distance appear to be north of $2500.
I'm also starting to get worried about engine access with a glass window now, as the local roof shop guys are telling me that I need to bring it back for them to undue the top a bit to allow access for major engine services at $200 a pop.

Skrapmot 01-30-2013 02:28 PM

Hey guys, those of you with the glass windows conversion post some pics in the service position, I would like to see it for myself.
I've done a bit of search on the Google and so far the access looks horrendous.

Peter Serbanica 02-02-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephan Silverman (Post 325573)
My top is about 3/4 good but the vinyl window has cracks. Anyone in Maryland, DC, Northern Virginia who does a glass replacement or can do the whole top with glass reasonably priced?

Stan's auto top. 973-635-3443.

tonycarreon 02-02-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Serbanica (Post 325960)
Stan's auto top. 973-635-3443.

can't recommend peter highly enough. i drove up from frederick to his place. took the train to NYC (the stop is a few blocks away) for the day. came back and picked it up and drove home. zero hassles.

schnellman 04-20-2013 03:43 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but what year did the rear window get switched to glass?

Topless 04-20-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schnellman (Post 338521)
Not to hijack the thread, but what year did the rear window get switched to glass?

2003 :cheers: