986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Flakes of aluminum found in oil filter. (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/42915-flakes-aluminum-found-oil-filter.html)

desertsoldier22 01-25-2013 08:32 AM

Flakes of aluminum found in oil filter.

Keep finding non-ferrous flakes of aluminum in my filter. They are soft and have the consistency of tin foil. I am wondering where they are coming from. I tend to find 2-3 per oil change and they are roughly .8-1.0 mm in size. Checked IMS bearing 3 months ago it looked and sounded fine.

san rensho 01-25-2013 09:20 AM

Sounds like its perfectly normal. Even years after the car is put into service, left over junk from the machining of the motor at the factory will show up. One or two small bits is nothing to worry about. It can't be the IMSB since it has no aluminum. Just keep monitoring your filter.

BYprodriver 01-25-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertsoldier22 (Post 325073)
Keep finding non-ferrous flakes of aluminum in my filter. They are soft and have the consistency of tin foil. I am wondering where they are coming from. I tend to find 2-3 per oil change and they are roughly .8-1.0 mm in size. Checked IMS bearing 3 months ago it looked and sounded fine.

You should get a oil sample analyzed & remove the sump plate to look around & clean the oil pickup & install LN magnetic drain plug. How many miles on your engine?
Nothing to lose sleep over just a opportunity to improve your car.

desertsoldier22 01-26-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 325078)
You should get a oil sample analyzed & remove the sump plate to look around & clean the oil pickup & install LN magnetic drain plug. How many miles on your engine?
Nothing to lose sleep over just a opportunity to improve your car.

64,000miles on the car...it is 3.2l

BYprodriver 01-26-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertsoldier22 (Post 325205)
64,000miles on the car...it is 3.2l

You should be in good shape. Search the forum for good oil recommendation when you have alot of time.

desertsoldier22 01-26-2013 05:35 PM

Been using a 5w-40 mostly because of the winter cold when I went to Michigan, putting 15w-40 back in after my IMS bearing retrofit install next month. The heavier weight oil quiets down the valvetrain noise I hear. I have heard that the valvetrain noise can be eliminated by replacing a spring and plunger in the cars oil pressure regulator, it seems simple enough to do.

JFP in PA 01-27-2013 04:00 AM

Replacing the oil pump spring will not compensate up for noise caused by worn chain guides, weak tensioners, low film strength oils, or bad lifters..............