Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #1

Windows, locks, and ignition all failed

I let my Boxster sit in the driveway for a few months without starting it under a roof that poured water all over it.

I Jacked up the car and replaced the Axel's and when I went to start it, it would not start, the windows acted like they were haunted and would go up and down on their own anytime I hit the up or down buttons and every time I went to unlock the car, a 3 second long strange noise comes from the drivers side door. I also go to turn the key to start it and nothing happens. I do this about 10 times and if I hold the key in the final position to get it started it finally starts. So I drove it to the gas station and leaving after it was warmed up I punched it and a plume of white smoke came out the back. I am replacing the Air/Oil separator, but what do you think the electrical issues are please? How could 3 electrical issues all happen at the same time? I checked the fuses and relays and it is not that.

Thanks,
Chris

kichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #2

This is just a guess. It sounds like the control unit located under the driver's seat got soaked and now works intermittently. A broken immobilizer can affect many systems linked to the car's alarm. Check to see if the carpets are wet. If enough time has passed for them to dry, then remove the seat and lift the carpets to check for mildew etc.

If you do find that water may have pooled under the seat, you'll need to replace the unit or possible have it repaired at a place like Specialized ECU Repair. Also, you should check your drain holes to make sure they aren't clogged which leads to the soaking problem.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Classic ignition module failure symptoms. Search for it on this board.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #4

Most likely ...

... you have issues with the Central Locking Unit (CLU) which is the black box located under the driver's seat.
The CLU controls the soft top, the windows, the locks and the immobilizer units.
Don't try to start it because you could fry the unit.
Take the unit out, open it and immerse the circuit board it in rubbing alcohol for an hour or so.
Completely dry out the carpets and especially the electrical connectors that hook up to the unit.
When you reassemble everything check the small fuse on the CLU which may be blown.
If the unit is fried you will need a new one which will have to be programmed into the car.
These units can only be programmed once, so a used unit will not work.
Good luck.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
This is just a guess. It sounds like the control unit located under the driver's seat got soaked and now works intermittently. A broken immobilizer can affect many systems linked to the car's alarm. Check to see if the carpets are wet. If enough time has passed for them to dry, then remove the seat and lift the carpets to check for mildew etc.

If you do find that water may have pooled under the seat, you'll need to replace the unit or possible have it repaired at a place like Specialized ECU Repair. Also, you should check your drain holes to make sure they aren't clogged which leads to the soaking problem.
ok thanks, I will look into this. Where are the drain holes please?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon View Post
... you have issues with the Central Locking Unit (CLU) which is the black box located under the driver's seat.
The CLU controls the soft top, the windows, the locks and the immobilizer units.
Don't try to start it because you could fry the unit.
Take the unit out, open it and immerse the circuit board it in rubbing alcohol for an hour or so.
Completely dry out the carpets and especially the electrical connectors that hook up to the unit.
When you reassemble everything check the small fuse on the CLU which may be blown.
If the unit is fried you will need a new one which will have to be programmed into the car.
These units can only be programmed once, so a used unit will not work.
Good luck.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Thank you very much Pedro, I will look into this now.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #7

Pedro,
That fix it! Thanks! There was mold all inside of it and it was nasty.
Thanks!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #8

I sent my key, CLU, and ECU as a set to ecudoctors.com and they exchanged it for $800 and everything works fine now.