986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Interior vent debris (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/42802-interior-vent-debris.html)

Caeg 07-14-2018 12:44 PM

Is the left and right flap supposed to both move? My right flap with the circular holes moves but the flap with the oval holes does not.

Cunningr 07-14-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caeg (Post 575199)
Is the left and right flap supposed to both move? My right flap with the circular holes moves but the flap with the oval holes does not.

Yes both should move.

dsallean 07-25-2018 06:20 AM

My 25year old was in town last week and borrowed the car to visit some friends. Went out there last night to get something from the car and noticed foam all over the interior...Oh boy. I thought the next project was going to be the new control arm links I recently purchased. I suppose that can wait.

Dave in TX

particlewave 07-25-2018 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ndfrigi 07-25-2018 10:57 PM

probably because of too hot outside, he did full blast the AC fan that made the inner vent foam materials out of the system.

dsallean 07-26-2018 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndfrigi (Post 576057)
probably because of too hot outside, he did full blast the AC fan that made the inner vent foam materials out of the system.

That's OK. Not her fault, and it is indeed HOT!

On the bright side she is 25 and can drive a stick...gotta be happy about that.

Exodus5 01-17-2019 02:23 PM

Hey all. The 2004 986 I acquired from a family member in Houston this summer has this issue I have started the "through the heater core" repair because it was leaking anyway.
Can someone give me details on how to get the bottom (footwell) door bushing out? I removed the screw and arm that actuates it, but it seems to be too stuck/attached to the door end to just drop off. Is there a clip to undo or maybe I have to pry it? Don't want to break it.

NEVERMIND. I figured it out. Had to leave the "arm" attached to it and use a interior trim prybar to pop it loose.

thejack 01-31-2019 06:51 AM

I have done this this evening. Thanks all for sharing this solving method of a very annoying issue on the boxster. Thanks guys!

MaddogsMotorSports 04-03-2019 02:24 PM

no heat fix

Originally Posted by 78F350

I did this fix tonight, took about two hours total and have great heat again! I cut the duct and my wife (she has little hands) was able to cover both flaps with aluminum duct tape. This is why I love the forums, If I had taken this to the dealer it would have cost hundreds of $$ but because of the extensive knowledge on this wonderful forum I was able to fix it with zero out of pocket costs, only my time. Thanks everyone.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1554329972.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1554330188.jpg

Markt213 04-06-2019 03:56 AM

I posted this question in the wrong place....sorry guys

Bits of foam are starting to come out off my vents.
Can I access the vent flaps using this through the dash method on my 05 box 987?
I am by no means a mechanic and hesitate to go through the front trunk.

Thanks

78F350 04-06-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markt213 (Post 592447)
I posted this question in the wrong place....sorry guys

Bits of foam are starting to come out off my vents.
Can I access the vent flaps using this through the dash method on my 05 box 987?
I am by no means a mechanic and hesitate to go through the front trunk.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that it will work the same. I have not personally seen it in a 987, but someone quoted this method on another forum for Caymans. There won't be any harm in removing your console to take a look. I expect that the HVAC system is the same.

Seadweller 05-03-2019 07:58 AM

Hi gang!

Regarding this issue, I have a question. I understand it effects the heater side of the system, but does it impact the A/C side in any way? I'm in Florida and will never use the heat, but definitely need the A/C to work properly. It won't be worth fixing for me if the A/C side of the system is not impacted.

Tomikaze 05-03-2019 08:03 AM

Pretty sure it's going to effect both. Hot won't be hot and cold won't be cold. The doors block the other passages off when you switch from one to the other. Swiss cheese let's the air mix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seadweller (Post 594311)
Hi gang!

Regarding this issue, I have a question. I understand it effects the heater side of the system, but does it impact the A/C side in any way? I'm in Florida and will never use the heat, but definitely need the A/C to work properly. It won't be worth fixing for me if the A/C side of the system is not impacted.

grc0456 05-03-2019 09:39 AM

What Tomikaze said.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starter986 08-05-2019 03:07 AM

Reviving this old thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 473957)
stay positive.
in a year or two it will be all gone. :D
lucky for us, lack of foam affects only the heating function, and not the cooling.

Good morning people.

OK. I've had that foam problem, and was going to cover the flap(s) with aluminum tape (never fail). As I was researching the steps I visited this thread (Bookmarked).

Yesterday, again (and since I purchased the car in 8.17) If it's reasonalby hot outside (100F+) when I run the AC I'll get cold air. However, and it pops up randomly, occasionally it will start blowing cool air... and then tepid. This will last for 5 minutes... then return to cold... then 5-10 minutes... cool and tepid... then cold again. It repeats the cycle until the car is shut off. It seems like a "cycle".

So, this morning and as I was researching the repair process, I find that "... lack of foam affects only the heating function, and not the cooling." Given I run the heater maybe twice a year I'm not so concerned about the heat.

All that said... do the board pros believe that the flap repair will remedy the, when the ac is running, cold/cool/tepid/cold/cool/tepid/ etc cycle? Is there something else at which I should be looking? Is the "... lack of foam affects only the heating function, and not the cooling" statement correct? Thje Tomikaze response leaves me seeking further clarification. Thank you.

Thank you, wise minds.

particlewave 08-06-2019 12:57 AM

Meir was incorrect. Missing foam on the heater core flap will allow varying degrees of your cooled AC air to flow over the always hot heater core, making the AC temp vary.

Fixing the heater core flap will solve this.

Starter986 08-06-2019 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 600441)
Meir was incorrect. Missing foam on the heater core flap will allow varying degrees of your cooled AC air to flow over the always hot heater core, making the AC temp vary.

Fixing the heater core flap will solve this.

Thank you, PW. It appears that will be my next project... this "winter".

Cheers!

tommy583 08-14-2019 07:54 AM

I did this project yesterday. Mostly because no matter where I directed the air via the buttons it came out all vents almost equally. The front flap had no foam left at all. The rear flap still had most of the holes covered with a super thin layer of brittle foam. So I removed what I could from the rear flap and covered them both with silver foil duct tape.

I plugged the HVAC controller back in to make sure the flaps both worked before I put it all back together, i'm glad I did. The rear flap wasn't working. It must have fallen out of the actuator while I was removing foam or taping it. Well I got it back where it belongs and everything works great.

Now I can get the air to come out of what vents I want and I think the AC blows colder now that it isn't picking up any heat from the core. :cheers:

particlewave 08-14-2019 03:06 PM

Nice one, Tommy :cool:

jcp 12-07-2019 03:17 PM

Hi guys...my first post here. '99 Boxster Base with the flake problem. Found this thread and followed the various posts with complete success!! I started the project with trepidation but with all the posts for help, it really went well. Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread!