Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2005, 08:10 AM   #1

Dumb Question-How do I use the tiptronic tranmssion?

Hi, I am taking delivery of my 2001 CPO Boxster tonight. I can't wait for the 1 hour drive home from the dealership.....on the twisty interstate!!!! Can anyone tell me how do I actually use the Tiptronic Transmission? I will ask the sales man at the dealership but i'm not so sure he is actually up on his porsche knowledge. Also, does anyone have any idea of how much it would run to have a porsche navigation system installed? That is the only option that I would like that I don't have, PS - Thanks for everyones responses to my leg room question, I was able to work it out.

joshua6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:17 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I beleive if you were to get a new Porsche Navigation it would run about $3000+ in parts,labor I have no clue. Ask TriGem2k he recently installed a Pioneer navigation system in his 01 Boxster and it has somewhat of a factory look as well. I beleive he said he paid $2000.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua6060
Hi, I am taking delivery of my 2001 CPO Boxster tonight. I can't wait for the 1 hour drive home from the dealership.....on the twisty interstate!!!! Can anyone tell me how do I actually use the Tiptronic Transmission? I will ask the sales man at the dealership but i'm not so sure he is actually up on his porsche knowledge. Also, does anyone have any idea of how much it would run to have a porsche navigation system installed? That is the only option that I would like that I don't have, PS - Thanks for everyones responses to my leg room question, I was able to work it out.

Although I have never driven a Tip, my guess is "D" to drive, "+" to upshift, "-" to downshift. Oh, "P" to park, "R" reverse, "N" must be nuts! Oh, also remember to press on the brake when you go from "P" to "R"
yellowbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:08 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua6060

Definitly not worth the trouble to buy the factory navi for our cars. Two reasons:
1. The are absolutly terrible compared to others on the market
2. You can have something soo much better for $3,000.00. An thats not including labor and other minor changes that need to be made for the install.

I just recently installed a Pionner Avic - N2 Navigation/DVD player in my car. unit is absolutly awesome. If you want a complete factory look you can look into doing the Pionner Avic - D1, that is a built in screen just as the factory. This will only fit if your A/C unit is not in the TOP Din, as this unit requires a Double Din. Unit sells for about $1500 and install is pretty simple.

As for driving the tiptronic car.... Its really an automatic.... press up to go up in gears and down to go down....Very simple... Cant go wrong.

Welcome to the world of the Boxster.....

Attached are 2 pictures of my navi unit for ya. Check it out.

Last edited by TriGem2k; 11-09-2005 at 11:11 AM.
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:47 PM   #5

More specific guidance on using tip:

For fully "manual" shifting, put shifter in D, then slide shifter to the left. Use the +/- on the steering wheel to shift up and down. The digital gear indicator on the dash will tell you what gear you are in.

The alternatives are (1) put in D and drive like any other automatic, or (2) put in D and you can force up and down shifts with the +/- buttons. You can also force shifts with the gas pedal.

My preference is fully "manual" mode, which is all I use. IMHO, the automatic mode is a disaster, except when commuting in traffic.
PDX-986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:47 PM   #6

Also, don't downshift to 1st while moving, and the car will begin in 2nd gear when you leave it in the automatic position.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:37 PM   #7

Hi,

A Good Primer for operating the Tip S has already been made by several others, but you won't get your best Fuel economy unless in the Auto mode.

I only use the Manual Mode when I intend to Rock & Roll. Using the Manual all the time I suspect will shorten the life of the Unit as the computer really does know better.

The Tip S has 5 modes - 2 are default modes and the other 3 are learned. It will take 50-100 miles of varied driving for the Control Unit to tailor itself to your driving styles. If you really want to insure this, disconnect the battery (-) cable for 5 minutes (be sure to have your Radio Code) and then drive in Auto for the aforementioned 50-100 miles. This will drain the computer's memory and it will re-learn according to your specific driving style and conditions (BTW, it will drive somewhat Crappy during this learning interval). Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 11-09-2005 at 07:39 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote