Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2005, 09:50 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Time for Brakes

Brake Wear light went on yesterday on my way home from work. Perviously had the brakes changed at the dealer ship, but i was looking into doing it myself this time or taking it to an idependant shop near my house.

How hard is it to do a brake job on the boxsters? Anything specific i need to watch out for? What kind of Pads and Rotors should i use? I was looking into crossdrilled rotors as i like they way they look. Anyone used crossdrilled on a non S 986?

Anyone with advise please post, this will be the first brake job i have done myself if i choose that path.

Thanks,
James

TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:32 AM   #2

So there is a light for when your brakes need replacing? I know there are sensors on the pads.

I've had my '97 box for about a month now, and thought the brakes needed changing cause they squeel a little when i stop. Should i wait till i see a brake light on the dash?

For your question, i would definately recommend doing the job elsewhere than the dealership. If you're handy with tools you can do it yourself fairly easily, rotors as well. Alot of people opt for lower dust pads to keep their wheels nicer. I've heard alot of people use Mintex ones... seen them on e-bay about $100 or so for all four wheels. As far as the cross-drilled rotors i don't see why not. They look nice!
TurboKuake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKuake
So there is a light for when your brakes need replacing? I know there are sensors on the pads.

I've had my '97 box for about a month now, and thought the brakes needed changing cause they squeel a little when i stop. Should i wait till i see a brake light on the dash?

For your question, i would definately recommend doing the job elsewhere than the dealership. If you're handy with tools you can do it yourself fairly easily, rotors as well. Alot of people opt for lower dust pads to keep their wheels nicer. I've heard alot of people use Mintex ones... seen them on e-bay about $100 or so for all four wheels. As far as the cross-drilled rotors i don't see why not. They look nice!
Thanks for your reply.

As far as your question. I usually wait til the light goes on in the dash. Some people i know dont replace sensors because its somewhat of a hassle as ive read. Right now my light has only come on once and turned off. I will replace when it is steadily on. Thats usually about another week or so.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:12 PM   #4

Don't wait for the light as the only indicator to change pads! Many a Boxster owner has tied the sensor up and out of the way when they last changed their brakes. They do this because :

1) The sensor costs money to replace and they check their brakes regularly anyhow.

2) They are using brake pads without the drilled area to accept the Porsche brake sensor.

If you think your due, have the pads thickness measured and make a decision this way. Waiting for the light to come on can get very expensive!

Old 11-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusivecar
Don't wait for the light as the only indicator to change pads! Many a Boxster owner has tied the sensor up and out of the way when they last changed their brakes. They do this because :

1) The sensor costs money to replace and they check their brakes regularly anyhow.

2) They are using brake pads without the drilled area to accept the Porsche brake sensor.

If you think your due, have the pads thickness measured and make a decision this way. Waiting for the light to come on can get very expensive!

Sensors are $12.00 or so? How expensive can it get? I have never done a brake job myself. So this will be the first. I found some great stuff to help me out on renntech.org, but any other info you guys got will definitly be useful.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:31 PM   #6

I'm not necessarily talking about the $12 to $20 sensors. Most people get their brakes done when something is already wrong...like grinding sounds or brake shudder. Now your looking at rotors, pads, labor, it adds up quickly since I believe you cannot turn the rotors on a Porsche. (Not sure but this is what I have heard).
What I am saying is if you wait for the brake light to go on and the previous owner had this sensor removed you will be waiting for a large repair bill since this light will never go on to warn you. Get the pad thickness measured to be sure of an approximate time before they are due for a change. You can measure them yourself very easily if so inclined. This gives piece of mind instead of just "waiting for the light" and you can change your own pads VERY easily!
In short...the light should ONLY be there to be a final warning to you to change your pads. YOU should be aware of your cars needs before the car finally tells you something is wrong.

BTW-After you have changed the first set of pads you will be amazed how easy it is to do on this car! It will take longer to take the wheel off than the change the pads!
Old 11-08-2005, 03:45 PM   #7

Porsche is the easiest brake pad job known to man. The info you got on renntech should be enough. Do replace all of the sensors since, as you stated, they're only about $12 each and the plastic clips on the ond ones will fall to pieces when you pop them out.

If you use the Mintext pads for low dust mentioned above, make sure you get "Mintex Red Box". The Mintex pads don't have the hole in the top for the sensor, but you can drill it yourself very easily. Just slip bits into the old pad until you get the one that fits, then mark the depth on the bit and drill it into the new pad.

Something else you may want to use is either the brake pad dampers or some spray Disc Brake Quiet to put on the backs of the pads. The spray is cheaper, but you need to make sure you read the instructions and do that right so won't squeal.

One other thing that's good to do is measure the thickness of your rotors while you have the wheels off. You can pick up a good measuring guage at an auto shop or hardware store to do it. Since the rotors wear a lip on the outside, you need to take two quarters or something else that's small and flat and measure the thickness of those. Next you put the pieces on either side of the rotor so they are sticking out past the lip and measure. Subtract the first measurement from the second and you have the rotor thickness. The minimum thickness is stamped on the edge of the rotor. If you're right on the minimum, you may want to replace them since they'll probably warp or crack when they get too thin.

Good luck!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusivecar
Now your looking at rotors, pads, labor, it adds up quickly since I believe you cannot turn the rotors on a Porsche. (Not sure but this is what I have heard).
Rotors can be turned, but most shops won't do it because there's only 2mm between new and minimum thickness. They are afraid they will take too much off and you will expect them to replace them all.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote