Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #1

oil and transmission coolers

for anyone interested, i found these:

50-113-7612 - Articles

Single Fan Pack - Articles

tranny cooler take home? he didn't get the car to the track so can't comment on whether his setup works or is needed, but apparently not needed for street use. i would assume it would provide some benefit at the track. from what i can see the cayman and 986 5-speeds are the same. personally, i'd replace the temp sender with a check valve to keep oil from backflowing into the tranny when the pump wasn't running; just hearing the fan run (or not) is a good rudimentary temp indicator.

oil cooler?didn't work, apparently. looks like the oem oil cooler delete plate from ln engineering might be a bad idea (heaven help me for saying that). makes more sense to me to keep the oem cooler and supplement oil cooling with a canton sandwich plate feeding an additional cooler. if you are keen on the ln engineering piece, he's selling his for cheap in the planet 9 classifieds.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Boxster Abuser

There is definitely a benefit for the track. I think it would be pretty unnecessary for the street.

This was my set up on the 5-speed. There was a temperature switch installed to turn the pump on/off at the requested temps. I logged the temps for awhile to make sure it was working.
In my six speed now, the temperature readings are sent to the Pectel/Cosworth ECU and that will turn the pump on/off as needed.

The gold/black fittings are quick disconnects with a dry-break. Made changing out transmissions a little less messy. Came in handy a few times, this one on my girlfriends car...blew third gear in morning practice and made it out to qualifying with a fresh box 2 hours later.

I have some transmissions around with the cooler fittings attached if anyone is looking...

4.0L Dry Sump Boxster GT race car - HRG #23
2005 Cayenne S - DD

Last edited by Eric523; 01-02-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Eric523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #3

do you have the setrab cooler behind the rear wheel - how's the fit? also, are you doing anything for engine oil cooling?

thanks.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Boxster Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
do you have the setrab cooler behind the rear wheel - how's the fit? also, are you doing anything for engine oil cooling?

thanks.
Yes, it was behind the slats in the rear fender liner on the 5 speed. Fits just fine on my car but these things, especially the hoses, would be really hard to fit with the stock style exhaust routing. We were able to do it with some more angled fittings when the track had sound limits and the stock muffler was used.

It then got moved to the rear subframe when the 6-speed and later 987 style exhaust routing outside the frame rails went in. The exhaust ran through the same location as the old mount. You can kind of see it here on the right side.

Neither of the locations required a fan or an air duct to be efficient. I think they would just be added complication.

No additional equipment specifically for the engine oil cooling except for the taller ''S/996'' engine mounted oil cooler. Much care is taken to keep coolant levels low, which helps cool the engine oil. As power continues to increase in the future, we'll likely look to add some additional cooling along with it.
2005 Cayenne S - DD
Old 01-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #5

thanks. ot question while i have your attention - with the ac and ps gone, how do you route your belt - do you use one of the ac delete pulleys for the dfi cars? and what belt (assuming a 4" pulley?)? thanks.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
Boxster Abuser

Quote:
thanks. ot question while i have your attention - with the ac and ps gone, how do you route your belt - do you use one of the ac delete pulleys for the dfi cars? and what belt (assuming a 4" pulley?)? thanks.
Right now it is routed like this picture of my old 2.5L. I'm using the stock p/s pulley with the pump internals removed. The bearing is sealed so it works OK and the price was right. Don't remember the size of the belt offhand but I can check on that if you want.

2005 Cayenne S - DD
Old 01-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #7

thanks again. i've checked and the ac compressor for these cars hasn't changed since 97. so, i think that the ac delete pulley sold by suncoast and bgb motorsports should fit, but if the ps pulley is doing the job then sounds like a less expensive solution ...
Old 01-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #8

another question - with the electric power steering - are you running a mercedes or mr2 pump, do you run a cooler on the ps fluid (to remove heat introduced by the pump) and have you experienced any lag in response from the pump (apparently later model mr2 pumps have internal controls that slow the motor when not in use but can be a little slow to get back to speed with rapid steering input).

sorry to pester!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
Boxster Abuser

Quote:
thanks again. i've checked and the ac compressor for these cars hasn't changed since 97. so, i think that the ac delete pulley sold by suncoast and bgb motorsports should fit, but if the ps pulley is doing the job then sounds like a less expensive solution ...
Yeah, those RSS a/c delete kits are pricey. I have one in the shop for a Cayman R we built but haven't installed it yet.
2005 Cayenne S - DD
Old 01-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
Boxster Abuser

Quote:
another question - with the electric power steering - are you running a mercedes or mr2 pump, do you run a cooler on the ps fluid (to remove heat introduced by the pump) and have you experienced any lag in response from the pump (apparently later model mr2 pumps have internal controls that slow the motor when not in use but can be a little slow to get back to speed with rapid steering input).

sorry to pester!
not pestering at all, wouldn't hang around here if I wasn't willing to share and answer(or ask) questions.

I'm running the GT3 cup car pump. Same as a Vauxhall and maybe a few other cars but I'm not sure of all the applications. I had heard of using the MR2 pump before but I don't believe this is the same. You can find these GT3 pumps on Ebay usually for around $500-$600.

This pump does have the ability to back itself off when running down the straights so it doesn't build up excessive heat and also reduces the draw on the motor/alternator for voltage requirements. I didn't perform the wiring on it so I'm not exactly sure how that all works but it is the same in my car as a factory cup car or RSR would be. No coolers necessary.

It's hard to tell any difference between the electric and belt driven pumps when on track. If anything, I think the electric pump makes the car easier to steer. I increased the size of my front wheels/tires, increased the grip by using a lower compound, increased front down force with aero, and widened the front track and it still seems like it takes a little less effort than the car used to with the belt driven pump.

Very cool system but I wouldn't do it unless I was tracking a lot. The later 987 models can benefit from improved reliability because of all the failures they have on track from overheating stock systems. We do put coolers on the 2005-2008 model 987 cars with stock pumps that see track use, along with under drive crankshaft pulleys for that reason.

2005 Cayenne S - DD
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #11

sweet. vauxhall zafira/astra pumps look exactly the same as yours and are readily available on ebay.co.uk. a quick search and the wiring is as follows:

red - battery +12V
brown - ground
black - ignition +12V (i.e., only runs when key is on)
blue/white - alternator dash light (to turn it off if the key is on but car not running)
brown/white - not required (for diagnostics)

the oem vauxhall bracket looks like it could be repurposed pretty easy for frunk-mount. looks like you used -AN fittings on the return, so just one custom hose for the pressure side and done. thanks.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
Boxster Abuser

yes, that is the cheapest place to find them

and make some fittings for the steering rack.

2005 Cayenne S - DD
Old 01-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #13

Eric, do you supply those fittings for the steering rack? I have the electric pump on my todo list for end of 2013 season (so next winter), and the info here is great reference stuff - thank you
Kroggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
SPB racer

Garage
Some days I feel unworthy of the company I keep on this board.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:12 AM   #15

Eric523 or anyone else,

I am going to fit the MR2 spyder PS pump on my 2004 boxster. I know that the Pump side needs the 16mm x 1.5 fitting which has 6AN on the hose side. However, what is the size of the fitting needed on the rack side?

Can anyone help? Is it a 6AN male connection on the rack side? For both the pressure and return line? Just want to be sure before I order the fittings. My MR2 pump is on its way..

Thanks!

PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote