986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Monoball camber plate.... (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/41910-monoball-camber-plate.html)

Steve Tinker 12-30-2012 08:39 PM

Monoball camber plate....

My original front shocks have a rattle on rough surfaces - I've replaced the drop links and inner/outer steering rod arms, but the noise persists. I suspect the upper rubber shock mounts are worn as I can move the wheel up with a pry bar and get a knocking sound.
I've been looking for alternative shocks and I've managed picked up a set of 5000 mile Bilstein PSS9 shocks to fit my 2001 S. The guy threw in 2 x Porsche GT3 camber plate monoballs (part #996 343 181 9R) with the PSS9's but he said that he removed them soon after installing because they are noisy compared to the standard rubber mounts.

My question is just how noisy are monoball shock mounts compared to standard - I don't want to buy a set of rubber mounts unless absolutely necessary, but I'm concerned that if I fit the monoballs & find they rattle, its another big $$$ job to pull them out and refit originals.

Amazing - no heavy costs for two years but 2012 has been expensive when it comes to maintenance and 85,000 km - I guess thats how it goes...

Thanks as always....

srad34 12-31-2012 01:10 AM

I recently replaced some from struts on my friends 986 2.7, the damper was weeping but no obvious noise but the upper bushes were seized onto the stanchion and the rubber bush was completely deteriorated. Just as well I was replacing!

If they have the factory option sports suspension or (like mine) aftermarket performance suspension bush kits, everything seems to rattle!

thstone 12-31-2012 07:21 AM

The camber plates should not rattle but they will transmit more road noise and vibration as compared to a stock rubber upper shock mount.

The camber plates proivde a firm mounting point for better suspension alignment and therefore, performance but at the same time do not dampen NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) very well. On the other hand, the stock rubber mounts allow more suspension movement and thus, less accuracy in the suspension but dampen NVH better.

Another thing to consider is how much negative camber you want to get out of the suspension. If you still have the stock lower control arms (versus having upgraded to the adjustable GT-3 LCA's), then you might want to have the camber plates installed so you can get more negative camber to improve the overall handling. If this isn't an issue for you, then the stock upper mounts may be fine.

Suspension upgrades are full of trade offs. If road noise is any kind of issue for you, then I'd recommend going with the stock rubber upper mounts.

shadrach74 12-31-2012 04:44 PM

Check your brake calipers. The do come lose occasionally (on any auto, not just P-cars) and will rattle like suspension problem. It took me weeks of looking and a misdiagnoses form a mechanic before I finally figured it out.

Steve Tinker 12-31-2012 06:29 PM

Thanks for the info guys - I like the idea of the direct feeling the monoballs will give, but I'm apprehensive about fitting them in case the "rattle" is worse than the worn rubber mounts that I have now.....and its not a 5 minute job to refit a pair of mounts if that happens.

shadrach -I've checked the caliper bolts and they are torqued up OK. The reason I think the noise is coming from the mounting bush is that I can lever up and down the front wheels with a long pipe and get the shock to knock where it passes through the bodywork into the frunk area. Holding onto the top nut when I lever the wheel feels like metal on metal.
The rear shocks don't sound / feel like that when levered up and down.....

Stroked & Blown 01-01-2013 05:28 AM

I believe the monoball mounts are a few hundred USD new, so you could recoup some cost if you can find a local buyer. I'd take them off your hands if the shipping wasn't prohibitive.

MaxD 01-01-2013 11:48 AM

One thing to keep in mind when installing monoball/spherical bearing components in place of rubber bushings is the inspection interval increases substantially. If they rattle or have any side to side movement whatsoever they are shot and need to be replaced. Also they don't stand up well to most road hazards (potholes, bridge joints, etc.) and do put additional stress on the suspension attachment points so that additional reinforcement may be needed . This is why they are used primarily on race cars but not road cars.

If you are tracking your car more than driving it on the road go for it with the above caveats. Otherwise just get stock mounts, call it good and sell the GT3 plates.

Steve Tinker 01-01-2013 01:48 PM

Thanks S&B and Max - I'll take your advice and order up some new standard rubber bushes. I don't track the car plus some of our roads here in Queensland are verging on goat tracks especially after heavy rain......

If swapping out was easier (as on my Miata which was a 30 minute job each corner) I would take the chance, but because of the difficulty with the Boxster setup, I'm thinking that the extra negative camber isn't worth the hassle of fitting the GT3 plates.

Eric523 01-02-2013 07:30 PM

I'd agree with the stock mount recommendation for your use. The mono balls are good when new, but can wear and make significant noise later in life.

Steve Tinker 01-03-2013 12:04 AM

Front / rear Porsche bushes ordered today from Design 911 in the UK. Usually takes 6 days to get to Aus but thats OK. I'm just hoping that the PSS9 are not going to be too aggresive for the road, even set on the softest setting......my wife will hate me !!

Thanks for everyone imput (again).

thstone 01-03-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Tinker (Post 321757)
Front / rear Porsche bushes ordered today from Design 911 in the UK. Usually takes 6 days to get to Aus but thats OK. I'm just hoping that the PSS9 are not going to be too aggresive for the road, even set on the softest setting......my wife will hate me !!

Thanks for everyone imput (again).

PSS9's are comfortable on the street using the softest setting for both front and rear.

Steve Tinker 01-03-2013 04:44 PM

Thanks Stoney - I hope your right....... only time will tell after I get them on.
If not, I'll replace with M030 and sell the PSS9's and GT3 monoball camber plates to someone who drives on the track or on smoother roads than here.