986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Changing the Battery on my 1999 (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/41811-changing-battery-my-1999-a.html)

V-Rod 12-22-2012 04:42 PM

Changing the Battery on my 1999

Well I have been away (business trip) for the past 10 days and decided to go take the new ride for a little spin to keep her oil flowing and tires turning. I also wanted to continue trying to figure out the issue with the conv top light.

I keep the car in a self storage bay for the winter, so it is cold and I also lock it which arms the anti-theft alarm system (red light on the dash). Today I opened the garage door and tried to unlock the car and no go. Held the rear trunk button on my key and again no go. The red light is still ON on the dash though. So I thought well maybe it is a tired battery. Damn I wish I had used a battery tender. So I came here to the forum and researched battery info and decided to head over to AutoZone for a new battery. I purchased a DuraLast Platinum H6-AGM replacement battery along with a new 1.25amp Deltran battery tender. They did not have a simple 9v memory retainer.

Tomorrow I would like to tackle swapping out the battery. Is there anything besides the radio that is going to lose its settings? I have my 13mm and 10mm sockets and box wrenches ready to go along with all the standard toolbox stuff.

Johnny Danger 12-22-2012 04:58 PM

The remote locking system is designed to default after the vehicle has been sitting idle for a few days. Therefore, you have to use the key in order to unlock it .

V-Rod 12-22-2012 05:12 PM

Well ain't that something! I gotta whole lot to learn about these cars. It probably mentions this in the owners manual. Maybe I should read it and get familiar with the way Porsche does things.

Thanks Johnny, I value your feedback.

doragman 12-22-2012 05:13 PM

5 days --plenty of data points with my car that after 5 days the remote won't work until you unlock it with the key in the door

V-Rod 12-22-2012 06:13 PM

Well I downloaded the 2003 "986" owners manual from Renntech and sure enough it is all spelled out in the first few pages. I am going to make a nice cup of coffee and do some reading tonight. I hate it when my customers ask me questions that are answered on the first pages of the manual.

Thanks for your patience guys!

mikefocke 12-23-2012 02:01 PM

And the top light is usually because someone didn't hold the switch down long enough after the top was seemingly at its end of travel.

V-Rod 12-23-2012 03:49 PM

Mike, you were right on! I have had power tops on older cars and that last snugging of the top was better off left to the latches as it saved a lot of strain and wear on the motor and linkages. Sure enough when I did it today I held the button until the light went off then I latched it. No lights on the dash.

As for the battery, Johnny Danger nailed that one exactly. I turned the key in the drivers door then used the remote and all was fine. Car started right up. It does not even need to turn barely a revolution, just fires up after nearly two weeks locked up in a 25 degree (nights) garage. I returned the battery to AutoZone.

Next up, Tires.......

Thank you MF and JD and all who chimed in.

mikefocke 12-24-2012 05:12 AM

Now investigate "battery maintainer" for those MA weeks where the car is in hybernation.

V-Rod 12-24-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikefocke (Post 320824)
Now investigate "battery maintainer" for those MA weeks where the car is in hybernation.

Mike,

I own the Deltran Battery Tender Junior but I would have to work out a deal with the storage facility for power. Deltran also offers a solar unit HERE

For $79 it may be just the ticket for maintaining a healthy battery that does get run at least once a month in the peak of winter.