Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #1

Pelican IMS Upgrade failing?

Three years ago with around 80,000 miles on the clock I replaced my IMS bearing with a Pelican upgraded bearing. The bearing I pulled out was perfect and the new one installed relatively easily. A few weeks ago(and 30,000 miles later) I started to get a rattle on start up (not a chain rattle), it also got a little reluctant to start requiring a few more spins. Now it has developed a throw out bearing-esk noise that started this morning and has very quickly developed into something down right scary. It's definitely a bearing of some sort that's failing. I'm not sure if I would have heard it but I don't have the insulation in my car so I can easily hear anything that is going on back there. You can also now hear it from outside the car. I'm getting it towed in tomorrow morning, what should I do once its there? Go ahead and replace it again? Or are there any tell tail signs that I can count on?

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #2

Garage
Remove & inspect the oil filter is the easy way to see if there are any metal particles in the oil stream. If nothing then you are probably ok to drive to a local shop.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Remove & inspect the oil filter is the easy way to see if there are any metal particles in the oil stream. If nothing then you are probably ok to drive to a local shop.
How effective is that? I guess the IMS guardian relies on that method.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
Beginner

Garage
First, take off the accessory belt and see if the noise goes away. If it does, it's not the IMSB. If not, the IMSB is in play.

I don't see the Pelican as a complete upgrade. The bolt is clearly better as the stock bolt necks down in what, in an ivory tower analysis, would be a great stress reduction cross section, but what in the real world equates to begging for a stress failure. The Pelican bolt is far superior, so much so, I bought the kit just for the bolt. I was not impressed with the NSK bearing itself as it was not a sealed bearing and was steel. I replaced it with a sealed steel high temp Nachi 6204.

You also did not state if you replaced a double row with a single row, which the Pelican kit does. I would not make that move. In any event the bearing is equivalent to a timing belt and needs to be replaced on a regular basis. If yours is making noise, don't play around with it, replace it.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
First, take off the accessory belt and see if the noise goes away. If it does, it's not the IMSB. If not, the IMSB is in play.

I don't see the Pelican as a complete upgrade. The bolt is clearly better as the stock bolt necks down in what, in an ivory tower analysis, would be a great stress reduction cross section, but what in the real world equates to begging for a stress failure. The Pelican bolt is far superior, so much so, I bought the kit just for the bolt. I was not impressed with the NSK bearing itself as it was not a sealed bearing and was steel. I replaced it with a sealed steel high temp Nachi 6204.

You also did not state if you replaced a double row with a single row, which the Pelican kit does. I would not make that move. In any event the bearing is equivalent to a timing belt and needs to be replaced on a regular basis. If yours is making noise, don't play around with it, replace it.
Removing the accessory belt is a great call. I think I'm just going to play it safe. I'll tow it to the shop, have them change the oil and inspect filter first. If there is no metal flacks we'll do the no-belt start up. A minute ago I was a man with a bad IMS, now I'm a man with a bad IMS and a man with a plan. I'm feeling better already, or maybe its the gin a tonics. Ether way thanks for the insight guys

Old 06-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I would be careful here. The bearing is "sealed" with rubber side shields. Debris from a failed bearing *should* be contained in the bearing until things get really out of hand. Waiting for the IMS guardian to warn you the bearing is failing is telling you the horse has left the barn. You already have metal shavings in your engine oil. Listen to engine sound changes like the OP and react in a similar manner. The bearing shields also stop meaningful amounts of oil from entering the bearing which always makes me wonder why folks advise frequent oil changes to maintain an IMSB. It's the old oxidized acidic oil trapped in the Intermediate shaft behind the bearing that bothers me, and the lack of grease in the bearing. It seems changing oil frequently would have little effect on that.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
Beginner

Garage
From the man drinking Makers Mark on the rocks to the man with the Gin and Tonics!
Old 06-26-2014, 02:11 AM   #8
Rennzenn

Garage
With all of the service $$$ I hope you don't end up being the man drinking M/D from a paper bag!
Are you taking the car to Delta V?? If so, I'd like to meet you over there to hear what Glen has to say.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:15 AM   #9

UPDATE: I followed James advice and popped off the serpentine belt this morning and low and behold the noise completely went away. So I apologize for questioning Pelican's engineering I'm certainly glad they offer their IMS bearing. I didn't have too miuch time to dig on the source of the noise but it seems to be ether the alternator or the AC compressor. The AC this year has taken a significant amount more power to operate than before, so much so you have to make a conscience thought to use more revs when starting so that could be it. There is no noise change when the AC kicks on though. Oh and thanks for offer to meet me at Delta V Jeff. I spoke to Glenn last night I'll have to call everything off this morning. How are the PCA autocrosses going, I'm sorry I'm not there to...um...have you beat me again.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Waiting for the IMS guardian to warn you the bearing is failing is telling you the horse has left the barn. You already have metal shavings in your engine oil.
This was my analysis too.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
How effective is that? I guess the IMS guardian relies on that method.
It is the quickest, easiest, no cost, inspection, that just about anyone can do.