986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   What is the best replacement control arm out there? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/41726-what-best-replacement-control-arm-out-there.html)

0bserver 12-14-2012 07:59 AM

What is the best replacement control arm out there?

I have some clunking going on behind me in my 2002 986 non s. I am being told that I need to replace control arm part number 986.331.043.07 at a cost of $220 per arm. I have seen various threads talking about TRW, Deutsche Parts, Porsche OEM and the rebuilt Vertex arms.

I would like to hear from folks that have installed and run these for a while. What are your experiences and preferences of the above brands? I am leaning towards the Vertex with the stiffer bushing but I'd like to hear some opinions before I spend the $$

Ghostrider 310 12-14-2012 08:25 AM

If I was going non stock I'd scope out a pair of these

RSS Tarmac Series Lower Control Arms - RSS

BYprodriver 12-14-2012 08:32 AM

I am installing TRW arms on my Box today to replace the URO arms I installed 2 years ago. 1 of the URO central bushings has moved 1/2" upward from the control arm. I am sure it would have continued to move further out but the track arm contacted the control arm & was rubbing it so I have to replace the track arm also. TRW makes these parts for Porsche. I considered the rebuilt Vertex arms but like Deutsche their reputations are not the best & having to do this work twice is no fun. :mad:

0bserver 12-14-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 319804)
If I was going non stock I'd scope out a pair of these

RSS Tarmac Series Lower Control Arms - RSS

$950 is a bit over budget for me. The adjust-ability is nice but necessary for me. This car is more of a weekend joy rider for me.

Ghostrider 310 12-14-2012 08:43 AM

They look like they may outlast the OEM which is the only way a non track guy could get the value out of them.

0bserver 12-16-2012 12:07 AM

anybody have experience with vertex?

BrandonJames89 12-16-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0bserver (Post 319798)
I have some clunking going on behind me in my 2002 986 non s. I am being told that I need to replace control arm part number 986.331.043.07 at a cost of $220 per arm. I have seen various threads talking about TRW, Deutsche Parts, Porsche OEM and the rebuilt Vertex arms.

I would like to hear from folks that have installed and run these for a while. What are your experiences and preferences of the above brands? I am leaning towards the Vertex with the stiffer bushing but I'd like to hear some opinions before I spend the $$

I used a quick how to guide for control arm repair to fix the noise I had in the passenger side rear. It would sound like a bolt in a cardboard box when the car warmed up and was coasting over small bumps. It's free and really easy to do (Project could be done in about an hour). I did this on one side a few months ago and haven't had a noise from it since. To remove the control arm just jack up the car, take off the rear wheel on the side you need to get to and remove the two bolts holding the arm in place. The only issue I had was my e-brake cable (which is zip tied to the control arm) moved during reinstallation and began rubbing on the inside of the rim. I just added another zip tie to hold it back in place. This fix is for the part number you listed which is the long arm that runs from the suspension parallel to the car and connects to the frame.

Here's the guide I used:

"Posted June 06, 2008 - 12:44 PM
The replacement of the 986 rear control arm has been covered in previous treads. This post describes the possible REPAIR of the rear control arm. You might as well try it since you can allways by a new part if this fix does not work. First remove the control arm. Clean the control arm and remove the rubber gators covering the main bushing ( 2 ). Then support the bottom of the bushing housing with a large socket to where the only contact is on the bottom crimp. Then use a 1/8" flat punch and lightly dent the roll crimp around the entire circumfence to tighten the original crimp to take out the axial plat that causes the noise. Note that only ONE side needs this treatment. Lubricate the ball joint and reattach the protective rubber gators. Reinstall the control arm and test drive your quiet Boxster. I did this repair on my 2003 Boxster S last year, 3000 miles ago and it is still performing as new. Saved $ 600.00 in parts. , Acomplish this repair at your own risk!"

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1355652192.jpg

mortimersmythe 01-10-2013 11:37 AM

I had a similar noise, replaced the track arms with the ones from Vertex. They were a pain to install due to the urethane being so stiff and making that conform to the suspension geometry. I ended up having to load the rear suspension to get things lined up for reassembly.

Another important point: the Vertex rebuilt arms are too large at the body mounting point. The diameter of the washer/grommet that captures the urethane is to large and does not fit in the allocated space on my 2000 986 S. I had to grind a section of the washer away to make it slide into the opening and get the bolt through, this is kind of a bummer as it seems like a major oversight from Vertex. Just an FYI for anyone planning the Vertex track arm replacement...

Most importantly, the rattling/clunking noises from the rear suspension are gone, now other squeaks and rattles are more noticeable. :-P

jsceash 01-13-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0bserver (Post 319798)

I haven't heard anything bad about the TRW arms. Deutsche Parts have a bad reputation if you read around the site. I bought OE as expected no problem PCA sent out 10% discount cards on parts and service in January last year good until April 2013 Really puts them in line for most items.