986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   '04 986S Vs. 987 (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/4156-04-986s-vs-987-a.html)

porschenut 11-03-2005 05:26 PM

'04 986S Vs. 987

What are the real (not factory claimed) 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers are? anyone tested their cars?

bmussatti 11-03-2005 06:06 PM

In a "real world" test of these two cars, I bet it would be very-very close. It would depend mostly on driver skill; who shifts at the best point, jump off the line, traction (tires) and etc. Then, the same two cars and drivers, might have different results the next day, for the exact same reason stated.

porschenut 11-03-2005 08:33 PM

I'm wondering if the 2.7L 240hp engine will match up to the 3.2L 258hp? I'm considering buying but not sure which one to go with. Any advice will appreciated.

MNBoxster 11-03-2005 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porschenut
I'm wondering if the 2.7L 240hp engine will match up to the 3.2L 258hp? I'm considering buying but not sure which one to go with. Any advice will appreciated.

Hi,

It very much depends upon what's important to you. The Base Boxster is an excellent Car and gives you 99.9% of the Boxster experience, actually, let me ammend that - it gives you 100% of the Boxster experience.

The 'S' model didn't come out for several years after the Base was released. If the Base wasn't a wonderful Car in it's own Right, the Model line would have perished and the 'S' never released. If the Base is 100% the 'S' is perhaps 101%, but at a $10K difference. And, 50% of all Boxsters ever sold have been Base Models, so how bad can they be?

What do you want the Car for? If you want a well equipped and reasonably well-built Drop Top with some styling, and a Porsche badge on the Hood, then the Base model is probably going to be sufficient. If you plan on Tracking the Car then the 'S' may have some appeal. If you want the Top variant, then the 'S' again, but not by all that much.

What are your prior experiences? I come from a long line of Performance and Sports Cars, several Jags, Healeys and Lotus (which I still own to satisfy my Need for Speed), so for me, the base satisfied all my requirements - fun little Drop Top, a significant notch above the Miata.

If you're looking for a Boulevard StopLight Killer, then skip the Boxster altogether, get a Vette, a Viper. a WRX or an Evo. If you plan on a lot of BackRoad Driving, realize that going East/West is the great equalizer, HP doesn't mean nearly as much because you'll never get into that part of the Power Band anyway.

Bottom Line, drive them both and buy the one which satisfies your particular itch. The depreciation is tremendous, so buying used will make the most economic sense... on a totally nonsensical purchase. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Adam 11-03-2005 09:57 PM

No, I don't think it would. The "S" still has a substantial torque advantage plus the extra 18 ponies. However, the base holds it's own on tight Auto-X courses and the like. Just ask the guy in the 987 that beat me!

SD987 11-04-2005 12:30 AM

Adam brings up a good point, in that both cars in unmodified form compete in the same PCA class (M).

Ifyou're comparing, then obviously both cars would need to be of the same transmission as the "official" times on the base 987 manual are better than the Tip 987S (and obviously 986S). However, as I've mentioned before, I doubt that most stick-drivers could out accelerate a floored automatic since the more I ride with other drivers the more convinced I am that your average stick-guy rows like crap.

MikenOH 11-04-2005 07:31 AM

I recently went throught the same decison process

comparing the 987 base to an S and thought that while the S definately had more poop, the difference was not staggering. The $9K price differential pushed us into a base with more options.

Additionally, the S we drove had a gear box that was very stiff, which killed getting the 6spd box on the base with the PASM option package since the wife had a real problem with it. We opted for a base with PASM, sport seats and sport chrono, which should help our auto-x efforts. With any luck, we'll have it in 2 weeks.

Having said all that I'm still amazed at what a good value the base car is with very few options. You get everything you need for an entertaining and practical tourer that will provide fun on the track. I recently saw a base '05' advertised locally with a few options for around $41K--I think that is a heck of a deal.

Perfectlap 11-04-2005 11:34 AM

There is no replacement for displacement!

my thoughts:
an 04 986S is probably the best engineered roadster to date. The 05 987 is still 'an experiment' and I'm not sure there has been enough feedback from the track and small numbers of weekend warriors to start incorporating changes/upgrades/fixes. I mean the season only just ended.

But having tailed a 987S during a test drive one day I can say that if you are considering the new boxster try an go with the S. $10,000 up front may seem like a lot but if you intend to keep the car the resale hit on a base 987 will justify going with the S. In other words not buying the S will cost you.

anyhoo, I will always opt for a manual transmission and someone who knows how to use one will ALWAYS be faster than a computer shifted transmission as long as you are turning the steering wheel. out Shifiting an auto/semi auto slushbox in a 0-60 run, that's a different story. I learned that in 500SL recently.

and by the way, you won't notice a difference between the S and non-S unless you are driving it for real! Merging and overtaking car on the highway is a very different experience when you have an 40-50 poinies.

try and find a nice 550 edition 04 986S, very classic Porsche.

Dr. Kill 11-05-2005 07:57 AM

Not sure what you really want to use the car for. There are so many other factors to consider.

I understand you are talking about the difference between the 986S and a regular 987. For me, although 18hp is always appreciated, the other differences would cause me to choose the 987. IMO Its upgraded interior and other changes more than make up for the power difference. But I was not looking for a track car when I bought mine. However, the 987 is no slouch. I went to the Boxster from a 300+HP heavily modded Mustang and I do not feel that the Box is underpowered by any means.

I think whatever choice you make will be a good one. It’s kind of like being at Ruth’s Chris and having to decide between the filet and the t-bone. Either way you are getting an amazing (albeit expensive) meal. :D

olly986 11-06-2005 11:54 AM

I test drove a 2.7 987 lately and was amazed at the result, very sweet gear box, it was a red model with 19" wheels all interior extras, sport seats and so on, it was actually a Porsche Great Britain demo car for the press.
a well worth car to look at over the old model, again buying second hand limits you to what is in the car, still a tough decision

porschenut 11-06-2005 04:54 PM

Thanks guys for all your responses, I'll be test driving a 986S, 987, 987S this week considering your comments and taking some notes.

Adam 11-08-2005 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
However, as I've mentioned before, I doubt that most stick-drivers could out accelerate a floored automatic since the more I ride with other drivers the more convinced I am that your average stick-guy rows like crap.

You have to remember it's not the shifting speed that makes most automatics slower, it's the torque converter. Auto's just don't deliver the power to the pavement as efficiently as manuals. Porsche desperately needs to wake up and offer some sort of paddle SMG type transmission ala BMW/ferrari and ditch the TQ converter.